Garlic Soup

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I will be making Kevin's Garlic Soup tomorrow and will need to alter the recipe for a veggie crowd. I plan on subbing veggie stock for the chicken. This will change the depth/richness of the soup somewhat I'm guessing. So I'm looking to add something else that may help it if necessary. I'm considering adding a mushroom element (simmered but no solids when served). Any thoughts? Kevin, please chime in if you can.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, when forced to use veg stock I've always taken a bit of the stock aside and re-hydrated (soaked) some dried mushrooms for a bit and added some of the soaking liquid back. Honestly, even if you just did a straight substitution, I think you would be pleased.

I do a straight sub when making a vegetarian version - but I use a stock with good umami. If the stock you're using is not quite sufficient on that front Marc's suggestion is superb.

Little off topic: I always have a small shaker jar of mushroom powder in the cabinet. Even taking supermarket
(on sale) "baby" (ugh!) portobello's, slicing them up and drying on a rack or in a dehydrator, then grinding.
It can make an unbelievable contribution, with no effort, to so many things!

Back