Stoker HELP!!!!!!

Michael Stella

TVWBB Member
I'm finally using my Stoker that I got for Christmas last year. When I got it I checked the calibration of all the probes and they were good. Today I had them all on the kitchen table and they were all reading within 1 degree of one another which is fine for pork butt. Now when I'm trying to use it my pit temp gauge is reading roughly 79 degrees. I've verified that it's not touching any meat. I've moved the probe, nothing changes. My thermometer in my top vent is reading 250 degrees, so I pulled the fan connection out of the stoker because I don't want it to get any hotter. any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

79 and not moving? Try plugging it into one of the other ports. Turn the unit off first, plug it in, then turn it back on.

I lost my internet connection last night to boot, so I guess I was on my own. I did try another port and it was the same reading. The temps are being read in F. I ended up taking one of the food probes out of the pork and putting it on the grate, and was able to monitor the pit with that.

When I started the cook, I placed 10 lit coals in the bottom and filled up the rest of the ring with unlit K. This was about 8:45 PM. I had my target temp set for 230, which it was pretty much right on, although it would dip down to 215 and it would stoke it up. The temp in my dome thermo was always about 250. About 5:45 this morning my temp alarm went off and I was out of fuel. I put in a half chimney of lit K, and have a chimney of unlit K and was back on course. My grate temp was hovering about 113, and trending lower so I checked again and I was about out of fuel. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Michael

I'm not at all familiar with your type of cooker so this may or may not be "right on." A lot of folks, including myself, feel it's best to use a heat shield for "low & slow" cooking, aka indirect heat. Some use foil, some a water pan, and my personal favorite, a 12" Terra cotta platter covered in foil (look at Home Depot garden dept.) These make a great, heat shield, add mass to control temperature fluctuations and double as a grease pan.

I use a ceramic smoker and the temp never varies more that 5°, and most of the time, it's closer to 2° using the method above.

The Probes. All probes suffer a common weakness and can easily be damaged by the 2 deadly probe sins.

Sin 1: If you submerge them in water, they will die. Maybe not at first but as surly as the sun comes up, they will die.

Sin 2: The instinctive way to clean a probe is to grip it by the probe, spray some cleaner on it, and clean the probe and the wire connecting it by pulling the assembly through the cleaning rag. Wrong!!! This puts pressure on the delicate connection and very often renders the probe worthless the first time you do it. Grab it by the probe and clean the probe only, gently wipe the wire only when holding the wire. Having replaced many before learning about this, I consider myself a Dr. of probe replacements. Thankfully I learned on the less expensive Polder probes. ( I started buying these in bulk and have links to best pricing)

Since only the tip of the probe is reading the temp, I cover the the top portion of the probe up to about 1' of the wire in foil. That makes gentle cleaning possible. And I clean with a light mixture of Clorox bleach and water, just in case a germ might be around sampling my pork butt.

If you're sure your probe is bad, and it sounds like it is, and assuming you did not commit sin 1 or 2, call Rock and get a warranty replacement.

Back