Drill holes for ATC?

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone drilled a hole (or two) to mount their stoker or guru fans? I'm picking up the 22" model and the fan won't fit the bigger vents. I was thinking about drilling 1 or 2 3/4" holes and just mounting the fan on it. I just need to figure out a way to plug that hole when I am stokerless (which will be rare on the large cooker.)

Just wondering if anyone has done this.

Pat, IIRC Bill Hays drilled his Ranch kettle and WSM out for the guru adapter. I'm prob going to do the same with the 22" WSM. I'm just going to drill one big hole with the Uni-Bit. HTH
EDIT: Ok Pat I found the post.

Thanks Bryan. Do you have any idea on how you will seal off the hole for a non-guru cook? Just wad a piece of tinfoil and stick it in there?

Pat,

Instead of drilling a new hole, why not mount the fan using the existing vent holes and cover those that are still showing with foil?

Benny

I'm not sure if that would work right.

I need to play around with it and figure out the best way. I got my 22" smoker yesterday, but it is boxed up in the garage right now. I literally have no where to put it and won't get to messing with it until this weekend.

Part of the reason I want to drill holes stems from my thanksgiving turkey cooks. I tried to run the cooker at 325 with 2 15# turkeys inside, and it just couldn't keep up. Once I opened the other bottom vents, the stoker was able to maintain 325 without a problem. It was in the 20s and windy, as I don't doubt it would have been fine in the 70s.

So, with the larger cooker and reported difficulties of maintaining higher temps, I want the ability to run the stoker and also open 1 of 4 vents for high temp if needed. I am also considering mounting two of the stoker fans (since I have 3) on one unit, wired together.

Here's my latest plan. I have some black gas pipe that I want to use to create a hole in the charcoal bowl. I am using this pipe because it will be easy to mount, and plug when not needed.

Due to unibit size restrictions, the pipe I have will provide an air tunnel about the diameter of a dime. Do you see any issues with the air getting through one hole of that size? I think it will be fine, but would love some reassurance before I start drilling my new smoker. I could also do two holes next to each other, but that costs more $$ and I'm not sure if it's needed.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Thanks Bryan. Do you have any idea on how you will seal off the hole for a non-guru cook? Just wad a piece of tinfoil and stick it in there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Guru comes with a silicone plug that plugs the hole in the adapter up.
Pat I see no problems with your plan. One hole that size should be plenty since it's bigger than the vent hole on the 18" WSM. My 22" comes on Tuesday so I'm anxious to get it and take a look see and figure out a plan for the Guru. Link to plug.

Well, I drilled the holes for the stoker. I ended up just doing a 7/8" hole but skipped the pipe set up. There wasn't enough room on the inside of the bowl for the plan I had. Ribs are on the smoker right now and it's holding 250 with no problem in 25 degrees with plenty of wind.

I'll just stuff some foil in the hole today and then figure out a better, cleaner solution. I know there has to be some sort of plug I can find (like a rubber stopper) that is heat resistant. Just need to locate it.

pat, BBQguru sells a silicone kill plug. not sure if it is 7/8" or nor. it fits the fan mount, but i never use it since just shutting down the top vent kills the coals quick enough. i'll go out later and see if i can even find it. if i can you are more than welcome to have it

edit, here's the link to the plug]plug[/URL] 4.99 with 7.99 shipping. typical bbqguru shipping
icon_rolleyes.gif
the thing doesn't weigh anything. if i find it i bet i can stick it in an envelope with an extra stamp.

update... i found it. the plug part is an inch and a eigth so you might have to drill the hole a little bigger. it's silicone so it might squeeze in a 7/8 hole. email me from my profile if you want it. i used it a total of 3 times

Back