Performer for all around performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Soeder

Hi guys, have a couple of questions:

I've been recommended to buy the performer since as of now, I don't have a grill. My father bought the WSM and loves it, but he also has a gas grill and a nice carbon steel fabricated grill. I on the other hand, still don't have one. I have a good buddy of mine who has competed in the past with the Performer and loves it and has won competitions with it. He said that since I don't have a grill as it stands, he'd absolutely recommend with no hesitation the Performer to fit my grilling & Q' needs. He said it's probably the most versatile grill that weber makes (of course I know that is all subjective).

Another question: I see in the Weber factory photos that the performer has a bin for charcoal. Well, forgive me for asking a stupid question here, but wouldn't all that charcoal absorb a bunch of moisture if the grill sits outside like mine will? I was wondering about that.

Also, is the gas firing ability only for starting coals or can you actually cook with gas on the grill?

I'm thinking that since I need a grill as well as a smoker, that this would probably fit the bill as my buddy says.

Can you guys give some insight? Thanks so much.

The gas is for starting the coals only. The Performer is a nice grill, but you would need a pickup or a van or trailer to move it around. If you buy a 22-1/2" Kettle, you can design your own table and save about $200. I store my charcoal in the garage to keep it out of the weather. The propane starter is nice, but an electric starter or the chimney starters are fine too. You would probably be happy with either a Performer or a regular Kettle.

If you are can only buy one cooker, then the Performer would be great, and it would indeed be quite versatile and would allow you to make good Q and grill terrific steaks. However, for less than the price of a performer, you could have both a Weber 22.5" kettle and a WSM. That is the combination I have, and I like it a lot. This combination gives greater range than just the Performer by itself in my opinion, esp. in terms of long, low and slow cooks or larger capacity cooks. I suppose the gas assist would be nice, but it just wasn't worth the extra cost for me. I use the Weber starter parafin cubes with a chimney, and I am very happy lighting my charcoal that way.

I was eying up the Performer back in December when I got my grill. I went with just the kettle, couldn't justify the cost difference for a table and a propane starter. As David pointed out, you can just about cover the price of a WSM with the difference in price between the kettle and the Performer.

Now I have this outside - My Toys

You can also buy a cheap but very effective propane burner similar to the ones turkey fryers use. Use that with a Weber chimney and get a nice table and you have all the functions of a Performer but the portability of the One-Touch Gold.

Justin
IMHO if you buy a kettle later on you will wish for all the additional features that the Performer has. Whilst the Performer and Kettle are vesatile and can be used for most types of cooking you will find as you become more adept in the culinary arts that you will need to purchase a WSM, you will aso find that your lifestyle is so busy that you need a gasser for weeknights so you can quickly burn a bit of meat. Then you will go out and buy a Weber Q or Genesis or Summit
BBQing as you can gather from the posts in these forums is more than just a passion it is an obsession.
Buy the Performer and WSM then buy a Webber Q 300. Buy a 2nd hand kettle for a few bucks just as a back-up (or a new one)
Don't forget all the accessories.

He who dies with the most BBQ toys wins.

Regards

Hi guys,

thanks for all the great replies..Right now I'm going thru the ol' gas vs. charcoal inner war within my mind. I know that gas has so many upsides over charcoal. And I know you are probably reading this thinking "another idiot worrying about gas vs. charcoal--just buy both." Truth is I just don't have the money to buy both and I really ought to just buy charcoal and forget it, but there's that allure of gas. I've noticed that Weber's 22.5" kettles have gone up at my local Home Depot to $159.99. I remember 5 years ago, those were like $79.99.

As of right now, I have no grill at all, so I need to make up my mind soon. The performer seems nice and I really like the table top aspect of it, but I kinda see the point about 'is a table and propane assist really worth it?'

Have you guys gone through this war of charcoal vs. gas? I'm sure some of you have. Oh well, I'm rambling and I'll shut up now.

Thanks again for the pointers. I'm still confused ;-)

-Justin

I grew up as a Mennonite, so all participation in wars whether inner or outer was taboo for me.

My first grill ~20 years ago as a grad student was a smokey joe (which I still have and still use). My second grill was a gasser. When it wore out I went back to a Weber charcoal kettle and am very happy with just that. The only down side is that my wife would use the gasser, but doesn't like starting fires on the kettle. That is fine--she just tells me when she plans to grill and asks me to take care of it, and I am happy to oblige. I can understand why some would prefer gas, but having been there, I am happy to go with just charcoal at this point.

If it's one or the other, but not both, I guess i would go with charcoal; however for my own direct grilling, I use a Weber gasser. You can get a quality Weber kettle type grill (I would go either Gold or Performer) for a good bit less than a good quality gasser. I've never had luck with indirect grilling on a gasser (well, I should say indirect with smokewood) and with a kettle you can go indirect or even low/slow with Minion Method.

Paul

Justin,

Let's do the math. An inexpensive gasser + tank is $250+.

You said $159.99 for the Kettle. (I assume that is a 22 1/2 one touch gold, you could go less) + $12 for two 20lb bag of kingsford. That is more than enough fuel to cook the 10-15lb whole ribeye (10 + good sized steaks) from your local costco, $100 - $115 = $287 and a very happy belly.
icon_wink.gif

Not a dig on the use of gassers, I just like to play with fire!

Q'n, golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

I know that gas has so many upsides over charcoal.

It's easier and faster to fire up the gasser and control the temps. Doesn't take long to learn how to get your grill fired up with a chimney and to control temps after you start using a charcoal though. I was a gasser for some time due to living in an apartment, once I got a house and my gas grill bit the dust I moved back to charcoal and was bit by the taste of cooking over it again. I've since then bought a kettle which has been great to cook with.

If you want to find an inexpensive kettle to start with, check your local classifieds and craigslist. The Weber kettles last forever due to being ceramic coated, find a used one, clean it out at the local car wash and replace the grill if your not comfortable using the one that comes with it.

Good example here, this one is probably gone but it's over on Orlando - http://orlando.craigslist.org/hsh/260274680.html

If most of what you will be cooking is burgers, hotdogs, steaks... etc. (direct cooking) - then a gas may be fine.

I don't think I will ever want to own a gas grill. I grill at least once a week, year round. I almost always do indirect cooking - so that's why gas makes no sense for me.

My dad - who is more established in life than I am - has a Performer. I grilled a turkey on it for Christmas, and although I liked the convenience of the gas assist starting - but when I wanted to add some more lit coals to bump up the temp slightly towards the end of cooking I was really wishing I had a chimney starter around.

I think the coals get hotter faster in the chimney starter than they do sitting in the kettle. (even with propane assist) Maybe it's just in my head.

Of course - all this being said - I wouldn't mind the performer. I like the built-in termometer on the lid, the table is convenient, and the storage bin can be used for other stuff other than charcoal (like wood chunks / chips) [I keep my charcoal in a big rubbermade container outside]

Anyway - that's a lot of opinoins. Oh - and the Weber 22.5 inch Silver is only $85 at home depot. The price you were looking at was for the gold. (The gold adds in the folding grate and ash bucket thing, both are nice features)

IMHO The performer solves the problem of gasser vs charcoal. You just turn on the gas, and the charcoal lights. When you're done cooking, close the vents, and it goes out. The unused charcoal is still there next time you need it. Nothing could be easier.

I store the charcoal in the performer bin. I put the cover over the grill, and everything stays dry for months on end.

I have the WSM for weekend cooks.

I use my performer on almost a daily basis... it come with smaller charcoal bins that i keep full right over the propane starter. By the time my food is ready for the grill so is the charcoal. sear my steaks, chops whatever than close the vents and do it again the next day. Although i have done many pork butts, ribs and other indirect cooks I have just ordered a WSM. It is very versatile, but plan on eventually buying a WSM in addition because you are limited to how much you can cook indirect on it and bbqing is as addictive as peanut butter and crack samwiches. $229 is a great price and it looks great in grey i would go for that.

The $229. price is an almost unbeatable deal.
It is good enough to change my vote away from the kettle and to the Performer.

Joe

The Performer is a great grill, but just wait and see ability to cook low/slow and maintain temps with little effort you have with the WSM. YOU'RE GONNA' LOVE IT !
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Yeah, i really hope so I did a pork butt this weekend for the superbowl on my performer... I decided to do it overnight, and I wound up getting up every two hours to check on it because it could only hold 225-250 for about 2-3 hours at a time. Still turned out to probably be the best one i have done yet with the tips and rubs off of here, but at the cost of a good night sleep I'm ready for my WSM to get here this week.

Does anyone have a picture of a grey kettle? If so are they are still available. Thanks

I really like the Performer but I bought the OTG instead. I got the weber table,a thermometer which I can calibrate real easy since its not installed in the lid and bought a weed burner for a different project but use it for starting charcoal now. Minus the weed burner I figured I saved around $100 getting the OTG and accessories rather than the Performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back