New WSM nah... ATC!

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Amazon gave me a $500 credit card and I was just about ready to pull the trigger and order a fancy new 22" WSM. Then I got to thinking, For around half the cost I could buy myself a new toy (stoker or guru) and enjoy the hell out of my old WSM. I am very pleased with the unit I have, horiz. handles, 3 guru eyelets, teltru, sealed access door, clay with sand waterpan, and a flipped stacker to boot. I think instead of buying a new unit (on credit), I'm going to save up a some cash and fully utilize the one I have (for now).

Ok, so heres the big question, what exactly should I get? I'm not interested in being able to link to the computer, just want a simple setup (that works consistantly, no hastles). I want plenty of airflow for the few occasions that I do use my stacker. And I want to be able to monitor it from inside the house. I have a bay window about six feet from my smoker. Any suggestions guys?

Brandon

DIGI Q II if you don't want and need all the bells and whistles. I love my Old BBQ Guru Competitor. It has worked flawless for going on 6 years now, when I need it for those cooks that are going to be unattended. HTH

Brandon-

I agree with Bryan. DIGI Q II is the way for you to go. Even though I can't speak from experience, I have been digging around on this forum trying to decide which one to go with.

Customer service seems to be an issue with both, and I have seen alot of posts on Stoker issues recently. It also seems like the DIGI Q II is a little more weather resistant, which is something to consider here in the Midwest! I would like the ability to use multiple cookers and checking temps via PC, but its not that big of a deal to me. I would rather have a product that is dependable and consistent right out of the box. DIGI Q II is not perfect, but it seems like the problems occur less often. If I really have to, I would eventually buy another DIGI Q II for the other cooker. I just have to give in and get the first one!
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry R and Ed C did a side-by-side cook and both worked well. Get a good Stoker and they are worth their weight in gold. Get a bad one, good luck on getting a hold of Rocks.

I too have been kickin' around alot of different options for the $400:

1) ATC

2) Waiting to catch 2 older WSMs on sale and using the extra coin to mod

3) Small BGE, or just drop another $400 and get a Large(now I'm dreamin'
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Either way you go Brandon, you will have a big outdoor charcoal crockpot! "Just set it, and forget it!", Ron Popielle(sp?)
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Best of luck bud in your decision.

You know Brandon, after reading your email, you might be right about the pitminder being a better choice for you. Since you don't temp your meat much, the pitminder might just be the way to go. I hardly ever use the meat temp probe anymore on my Competior. And you could save that Ben that you wanted too.
icon_wink.gif

I do temp my meat on alot of stuff, like turkey, meatloaf, bacon etc, stuff that temp is really critical to determining when its done. But thats what I have the maverick for.

I was just wondering how useful the "ramp down" and "lid open" features are. Also, the "all new full time adaptive control algorithm that learns your pit to control better stability / accuracy" kind of catches my eye...any comments on that feature?

Bottom line. Are these features worth the extra hundy, or is it more of a bling factor?

I'm looking forword to ATC, just want to make the most educated buy I can (for once)
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

About a year ago, I was trying to decide between the DigiQII and Pitminder. I went with the Pitminder and have yet to miss the ramp down or open lid features.

I probably shouldn't stir the pot, but I will anyhow
icon_smile.gif

You mentioned monitoring inside the house. Does the DigiQ II allow you to do that, or are you just counting on being able to see the display from your window?

You decided to modify your WSM, so are you sure you aren't going to want to have expansion/modification options in your ATC?

You're already debating the purchase of a second smoker. Why would an ATC purchase eliminate the need for additional cooking capacity?

I'm a Stoker user, and a fortunate person to have won one of the originals in a contest, so I'm a biased fan of it. My long time reading of this ATC forum leaves me with the opinion that the Guru units are probably easier to initially setup, and probably more rugged for the outdoor weather. However, I think the Stoker offers additional features that aren't available in Guru products, and with a little use, I think they are equally easy to setup once you are familiar with it. The ability to control multiple smokers is another plus. Remote cooks are also unique to the Stoker. (I did an overnight lunch cook for people at work. Started it at work, then monitored it with Stokerlog throughout the night. When I woke up the next morning, I ramped up the temperature a bit, and everything was the way I expected it when I got to work later in the morning).

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever option you choose to pursue. If you're sure you aren't going to want to control multiple smokers, or use the additional feature unique to the Stoker (and Stokerlog), then go for the Guru line. If you might have interest in those other features, then I encourage you to also consider the Stoker. In either case, you'll certainly enjoy the additional control these systems provide. I sleep much better on overnighters now!

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
I probably shouldn't stir the pot, but I will anyhow
icon_smile.gif

You mentioned monitoring inside the house. Does the DigiQ II allow you to do that, or are you just counting on being able to see the display from your window? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd, as long as the cable will reach ~6-8 feet to the ledge on my kitchen window, thats all I need. And if I get the pitminder, I will be using a wireless therm for meat temp anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
You decided to modify your WSM, so are you sure you aren't going to want to have expansion/modification options in your ATC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, but at the time being I would just like to get my feet wet, if in the future I want to step up to a more complex unit, the pitminder/guruII could go on a kettle or another toy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You're already debating the purchase of a second smoker. Why would an ATC purchase eliminate the need for additional cooking capacity? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IF I were to buy a new 22" I would probably sell the old 18" to one of the many friends who want it. As I said, I have a stacker, which I rarely use. Capacity is not the issue.

Brandon

Back