Who would you like to BBQ with? *****

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm very fortunate to live close enough to Ed Cardoza on this board that we get to BBQ together from time to time. Last night Ed and his lovely wife came over for brisket and he brought ABTFG (FG = for gringos, he doesn't use jalapeños) which he stuffs with a chicken mixture sooooo good. I also did Doug D's smoked mushroom dip (highly recommend even though 1/2 of my smoked mushrooms ended up on my patio), garlic mashed potatoes and spaghetti squash, it was a great meal! We have a great time grilling/smoking, eating, talking, drinking great wine etc. (I'm nursing a pretty good hangover this a.m. and I'm sure Ed is to).

So here's my question, if you had the opportunity, who on this board do you think you would enjoy Qing with and why. There are the obvious names like K Kruger because you'd be having a gourmet meal and I think one would pick-up some great cooking techniques, or Chris A. as a thank you for this great site, but I'm sure there are others out there too. I do want to add that I thought about not posting this topic as I didn't want it to turn into some kind of a "high school" popularity contest, but then I figured I'd post it as I think some of the input could be interesting.

So here are a couple of mine in no particular order:
Bill F. - Bill wrote for Howard Stern and as a die hard Stern Fan for the past 20 + years I'd love to hear some of Bill's stories and insight on the early days of the Stern program.

Amir - My entire career has been in software (on the sales and marketing side), I'm sure Amir would have some great stories regarding his days at MS.

J.D. McGee - Based on J.D's posts (and pictures) I think he and I have similar taste in food, wine and scotch, it would be an interesting cook.

There are others but this post is already too long.

EDIT - I just caught this POST looks like the New Yorkers are making it happen! Good work!

Man, that's a toughy! I know I'm gonna leave someone out.

Luckily for us competitors we do get to cook alongside each other at our events. But if I were to choose a few from here that I'd like to cook with it would be ... Ray Lampe, Scottie, Alex and Kate, KRE, Buzz (2fat), and Joey Mac.

Of the non-competitors here I would have to choose Chris A. and Kevin Kr. for the obvious reasons. Bill F., not for his H.S. stint but because he also wrote for the Simpson's and the P.J.'s ... The man has to have a sense of humor! Clay Jackson, I spoke with Clay for a short time at the Royal this year and I could tell in that small amount of time that he and I would get along just fine if we ever got the chance to cook together.

Truth be told, I'd like to cook with pretty much everyone on this board! So if I left you out it's just because I didn't want to write an essay.
icon_wink.gif

"I know I'm gonna leave someone out."

I know what you mean Rick, there are so many great and interesting people on this board it's tough to just pick a a couple.

It would be great to BBQ with anyone who uses this forum. It would also be nice to pick a nice spring, summer or fall day and have a regional non competitive get together, where you could bring your bullet or kettle or any other Weber cooker and share some BBQ and a brew and get to know one another.
But I would most like to BBQ with my son, my Dad, my Grandpa, and my Great Grandpa. This would take us from the present, back to the Civil War era. Only in my dreams would this be possible now.

I am kind of slow in coming along. I don't know of too many people by name. Just the few I catch on tv and authors of a couple of books I have. So out of the people I do know I would have to pick Alton Brown. That guy is a blast on tv and has a lot of interesting tid bits. I bet he could have fun at a insurance seminar. After that pretty much anyone who hangs out here on occasion. I enjoy the online conversations, I'm sure it would be better in person. It would have to be with food involved.
icon_biggrin.gif

As to a regional get together I have the perfect place for the midwest. Pleanty of room for campers and camping. I have 5 picnic shelters and a large party building as well as tables and chairs for around 400. It is about 8 miles from the I 70-I 75 interchange just north of Dayton. My wifes family came last year and spent labor day weekend and it was a blast.

If there is an interest I will start a new thread.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Larry,

Where in California are you? I'm in Los Angeles and if you're not too far away it would be a blast to Q together.

Bill

Originally posted by Dave L.:
Heidi Klum,
Why? I think it's obvious
icon_wink.gif

icon_cool.gif
I like that!

I have a difficult time picking particular individual/s. Family and friends have to top the list, because distance and time commitments make the frequency of our gatherings more challenging and infrequent then I would prefer.

Not to be PC, I enjoy sharing passions, ideas and time with anyone who has similar appreciations.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Originally posted by Dave L.:
Heidi Klum,
Why? I think it's obvious
icon_wink.gif

I immediately thought of Jessica Biel. Sorry guys it's just what popped into my mind when I saw the topic. I'd happily get together with anyone here, lots of good knowledge but I have my priorities.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

Any member works for me. Rita for one because she has been really nice to me. I would like for Jim Minion to try my Q and give me his thoughts.

My first choice would be Jim Minion, since he's famous for the MM, and he's local, also Konrad Haskins, for being local, too. Still meaning to get up to Teddy Bear's BBQ. Kevin Kruger, Bryan S, and you, too Larry R, I'd love to give your tri-tip a try. Let's see, Bill F. as well, I just loved "Men Behaving Badly"; Chris A. without you we wouldn't be here! This is sounding like one of those award show speeches, time to quit!

I agree with others out there, doing the Q with anyone here would be a real treat!

Steve

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger: Larry,

Where in California are you? I'm in Los Angeles and if you're not too far away it would be a blast to Q together. Bill

I'm in the Central Valley, Fresno to be exact. However, my office is in Brea and my Uncle lives in Ventura so I get down there once in a while. If you're ever up in the Central Valley let me know, Ed C and a couple others are up here too.

Originally posted by Steve Z:
My first choice would be Jim Minion, since he's famous for the MM, and he's local, also Konrad Haskins, for being local, too. Still meaning to get up to Teddy Bear's BBQ. Kevin Kruger, Bryan S, and you, too Larry R, I'd love to give your tri-tip a try. Let's see, Bill F. as well, I just loved "Men Behaving Badly"; Chris A. without you we wouldn't be here! This is sounding like one of those award show speeches, time to quit!

I agree with others out there, doing the Q with anyone here would be a real treat!

Steve

Hey Steve...anytime you want to shoot up to Duvall we can fire up a WSM or two. Konrad is just down the hill and we can pop in to say hi. I could probably get Brian (Swamprb) over as well...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

J.D. McGee - Based on J.D's posts (and pictures) I think he and I have similar taste in food, wine and scotch, it would be an interesting cook.

WOW!...Thanks Larry! I'm downright flattered.
icon_smile.gif
icon_wink.gif
Any time bro...any time!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brea isn't too far at all. Definitely let me know the next time you're going to be in the area and we'll set to acookin'.

Bill

Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger: Larry,

Where in California are you? I'm in Los Angeles and if you're not too far away it would be a blast to Q together. Bill

I'm in the Central Valley, Fresno to be exact. However, my office is in Brea and my Uncle lives in Ventura so I get down there once in a while. If you're ever up in the Central Valley let me know, Ed C and a couple others are up here too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw Heck guys! I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not saying this to be PC or anything, but if anyone of you guys or gals were to swing by the Wyocena Yacht Club and stop in, I'd Q with ya. Because we all have the WSM in common, and I have beautiful scenery when I have the pits fired up.

I bet if I had the chance to cook with Paul Kirk I would learn alot. But then again I have gotten so much good advice from this site any member here would also be great to cook with. Make some Q and have some laughs.

I haven't BBQ with Justin Wilson, but I did attend a "Cochon de lait" at his home in Louisiana in 1976. Quite a show. Senators, LSU football coaches & suspected mafiosos in attendance.

Back