Another Wireless Barbecue Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I received a Frontgate catalog today and noticed a new version of the wireless BBQ thermometer. The probe and transmitter look the same as before, but the base unit is restyled and appears more user friendly.

Item number 1481, $89, www.frontgate.com or 800-626-6488

Regards,
Chris

Received my "Remote Chek" bbq thermometer in today's mail from Frontgate. It was back ordered for several weeks.

Looks like a real slick unit! It consists of the usual base unit and a remote transmitter. Unlike other remote thermometers, this one takes 2 Polder-type stainless probes, so you can measure two different meats or meat and grate at the same time. The base unit also has a direct connection for one probe, so you can use it just like a Polder, too.

The transmitter has a little LCD so you can read the temps right at the transmitter, with the two temps cycling on the display. It also has an on/off switch to save battery life and a table stand, unlike previous models.

The base unit has rounded corners and is thinner in the middle than at the ends, fitting comfortably in your hand. It provides 4 programmable temp setpoints for each meat type (beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey), also USDA recommended temps preprogrammed. You can select which probe temp to view, or have the two temps cycle on the display. It has the usual features like clock, dual count down/up timers, dual temp alarms, plus a table stand and belt clip.

Best of all, unlike previous units, this one has a temp range of 14*F to 410*F, so you can use it safely to measure temp at the grate.

I'm looking forward to using it next time out!
biggrin.gif

I used this new remote thermometer for the first time yesterday and want to report that it worked great. Cooked a brisket and measured grate temp and internal meat temp simultaneously from the comfort of my recliner while watching TV. It's a slick little unit.

Chris; I got my "remote check" this week. The instructions say not to pinch or crush the braided metal wire leads to the probe. I've not had a problem with the polder leads, (they are interchangeable), but the WSM lid does pinch them somewhat. Do you feel that it's necessary to notch the lid or just place a small piece of wood or whatever to keep from pinching them?

------------------
Good Smokin'
Dan

I notice Amazon.com has a Maverick remote temp sensor for $39.99 (50% off) at the moment. Anyone know if they're as good as (or maybe the same as) the ones discussed above.

(Trouble is they don't ship down here to Australia....)

Jock, I searched around the internet, and $40 bucks seems like a great price. The lowest price I saw anywhere else was $88. I don't know anything about the unit. The question I have is since it is a "meat" thermometer what is the top of the range? I would like to use one prob for meat and the other for grill temp. My bet is that it only goes to 200 or so.

Doug
ps any idea what it would cost to ship from here to there?

Doug,
I'll have to check the temp range. I also would want to monitor the meat and the grill temps.
I think (based on various rates quoted on sites) that postage could be about US$10.
regards
Jock

I think the Maverick unit is the same as the "Remote Chek" mentioned by Chris in an earlier post. If so, the temperature range is 14* to 410*. It should be OK for both meat and pit temperature.
Chris, how's your unit working?
regards
Jock

I've only used it a couple of times, but it works just fine, as advertised. Sounds like a bargain if you can get it for $40.

Regards,
Chris

Looks like the unit is the thing I'm after, but as I said above, Amazon doesn't ship to Australia.
I was wondering if someone in US would be willing to accept delivery of the item for me (I would have paid for it on the internet) and let me know how much it would cost to post down under? I could then send the US$ in cash to them. I would be most grateful.
We're a small market down here, and some things (especially BBQ, rather than grilling, equipment) just aren't available.
regards
Jock

Chris,

I received my new Remote Check Thermometer Last Monday and although I have no basis for comparisson other than a single probe electronic, I can't say enough good things about it.

My first experience with it was yesterday when I ran 2 WSMs side by side with 10 racks of spares for a family get together.

Out of the box the calibration was dead on. Given the fact that the unit comes with 2 probes it is ideal for either working 2 smokers or monitoring a single smoker and meat temp.

The single page instruction sheet is very straight forward and requires a minimum of time to get oriented with the fully functional unit.

Could someone who has one of these units answer a couple of questions for me before I order one? How long are the cords for the probes? Are they the same as the Polder probes? Do the transmitter and remote units have magnets, clips, or other attachment gizmos? How far away can you really go if you're inside with a wall or 2 between transmitter and remote? Thanks in advance.

Steve

A BIG THANK YOU
biggrin.gif

Thank you to all who responded off-forum to my earlier request. I am very impressed (but not surprised) by the generosity and hospitality of members of the forum. My item should be in the mail very soon. I won't single out the generous person who is sending the item so as not to lessen my thanks to everybody else. Thank you all
warm regards
Jock

PS: It was only after I posted the request that I realised that I was asking a lot from people, especially in regard to access to personal information like home address.
redface.gif
Rest assured, I won't abuse that position of trust. Thanks again

Is the Maverick unit you are talking about the same one BBQ Galore carries? It has two probes but I don't know if it is remote.
Dan

Maverick is the manufacturer and Remote Check is the product name. I've seen it at my local Barbeques Galore. It has two probes, a transmitter with small LCD display, and the larger base station receiver, all for $80-90.

Regards,
Chris

Just to avoid any confusion, the thermometer referenced in Kevin's post above is not the Maverick Remote Chek dual-probe remote thermometer discussed in this thread. It is a single-probe remote thermometer produced by a different company. I used to own one and got rid of it when I acquired the Maverick Remote Chek unit. It is more difficult to use than the Remote Chek, but did have low temp and out of range alarms, which was nice, and cost less money.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 03-08-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back