Question RE: Lighting Coals with Propane Torch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
So when I couldn't find any Weber Starter Cubes locally I decided to buy a Bernzomatic Propane Torch Kit. Here's my question, how long to I leave the flame on each coal? Also, when using my chimney start coals for my kettle should I just aim the flame through the holes at the bottom of my weber chimney to get the bottom coals going? Thanks in advance for any advice.

larry, i got the same torch for the same purpose. with the chimney it doesn't work worth a darn. with my pitminder on the WSM it is great. i just touch the flame to one or two pieces of lump until they start to glow and "crackle",assemble the wsm and turn the pitminder on. in 20 minutes or so the WSM is up to temp.

Tony, thanks and curses. I'm getting ready to start a chimney for a filet and a nice ribeye. Looks like I'm going use paper towels for tonight's cook.

I have a Stoker so it should work well on the WSM. Thanks for the reply!

i think the 13 bucks was well worth not having to bother with starting a chimney with just a few chunks of lump in it. that was a pain in the rear

Tony, you're 100% right, worthless with chimney, but it did a great job lighting the paper towel I used to get the chimney going.

Looks like it's a WSM tool then. Thanks for your input.

I use it all the time with the Weber Chimney. I just light the bottom 3-4 for about a minute and it takes off. I have my bottom chimney grate tunred upside down so that helps I think. Yeah it's a little slower than with towels and oil but since I know it takes longer I just start it up earlier. Most times for the WSM I just light 3 spots in the lump for a MM start.

I have done as Bryan suggests. Most of the time I poor my fuel into the kettle, hit the coals with the torch in several spots and pile them up. Startup seems to be about the same. The chimney is getting a little lonely.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

I pretty much fire everything up with my Weed torch from Harbor Freight. My chimneys may get their only workout on the La Caja China now.

Brian,
Two questions,
When did you get the La Caja China and when is the pig done?
icon_smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Z:
Brian,
Two questions,
When did you get the La Caja China and when is the pig done?
icon_smile.gif

Steve

Hi Steve!
I found the La Caja on craigslist a couple weeks ago. Its a No. 2 (large)and I'm itching to fire it up!

I light it in the chimney and just a pile in the kettle. In the chimney I just hold underneath for 30 seconds or so...in about 20 minutes the whole thing will be lit.

OBTW, I just pulled the Turkey Jet Burner out on Monday to light a chimney full of lump for a meatloaf cook. I forgot just how well that works. In >5 min it was fully lit and into the WSM it went. Talk about getting it done in a hurry.
icon_cool.gif

I use the side burner on my old gasser to light my chimneys. Works great and it's quick!

I also use Bryan's technique (turkey fryer burner) when I'm out on the road. Another winner!

I've only had my Weber OTG for a year and I just bunch up about 4 sheets of newspaper and put em under the chimney and light em with a butane lighter.. works great, and the charcoals are ready in about 10 minutes. I'm definitely getting a second chimney for those big direct heat cooks.

If you have some bricks or pavers you can put the chimney on them and then put the torch underneath. I have 3 pieces of firebrick for this purpose and it gets the chimney just high enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back