Smokey Joe Question.

C. Main

TVWBB Member
Just got the smokey joe silver to use for burgers, dogs, chops and stuff.
My question to you SJ owners is how much charcoal do you use in your chimney to fire up the SJ for grilling?

Depends on how much and what is on. Anywhere from a half weber chimney to mostly a full chimney. Depends on time and circumstances.

I use mine for tailgating. Mine is vented on the bottom, so I have the option of choosing how much fuel to use.

One way to guage how much to put in the chimney is to experiment by pouring onto the grate the amount you think you'll want, i.e. enough to totally cover the grate, partially or whatever. Then put that back into the chimney and see how much you have. Thereafter, you'll know how much to pour into the chimney and light. Obviously a SJ has a small area for briqs so you don't really have much area for a "cooler space". However, some here have managed to cook indirect on one ... ? You can regulate the amount of heat by the amount of fuel you're using.

Paul

Thanks gentlemen. When I got the SJ I had a small thermometer kicking around so I mounted it in the dome. Not that it needs it, just thought it would look, well, different. I then fired up 24 briquettes. This seems to be enough to cover the bottom of the charcoal grate. I ended up with a lid temperature of only 225. Definitely needs more fuel for grilling. Going to try using lump.

Let us know how much and what kind of lump you use. Also, can you use lump in the smokey joe to cook anything other than steak? Thanks

Steve

You can use lump to cook anything you like. I just did some burgers on the SJ using royal oak lump. I don't think I'll be using briquettes anytime soon. What I did when I got the SJ was make a small chimney starter out of some 5 inch stainless steel pipe. It holds 40 briquettes. To give you an idea how much lump I used, I just filled it and when it was fully lit dumped it in the SJ and piled it up on the side. This allowed for indirect cooking on one side and grilling on the other. One modification I did but is probably not necessary was added a piece of 3/4 inch expanded steel (mesh) to the charcoal grate. The size of the lump varied from about the size of a grape to the size of a golf ball. Hope this info helps.

Back