Stainless Steel cooking grate

Bill Freiberger

TVWBB All-Star
How do you guys clean steel cooking grates. I can't seem to get mine anywhere near clean. I've even tried scrubbing them with steel wool and I just can't get the gunk off them.

Bill

I have used a Grill Cleaning Stone that cleans the grills to shiny bright again nomatter how black they are.

Grillstone_-_Grill_Cleaning_Block-resized200.jpg

However it does not last too long (about 10 cleanings) and it may be too hard on the grills as it actually looks to sand them. So I stopped using it and just use the brass brush now.

However I woul dlike to know as well if anybody has another solution Other than the Grill stone.

I place a sheet of foil over them and turn the unit onto the highest setting. Once it stops smoking, let it sit for another 10mins or so. Then use the brass wire brush to remove the white ash.

If you have a self cleaning oven, you can put them in on that cycle. It works wonders for cast iron. I don't know if they will possibly fit, but you can try it.

I also tried the self cleaning oven trick. It's worked for various other parts of the barbecue, but doesn't seem to be doing the trick for the Stainless Steel grids.

Bill

Man i don't know, are you sure they are stainless steel? I trust that they are, but Stainless steel is so easy to keep clean i wonder what's going on
icon_confused.gif

If they are that dirty then leave the gas on the highest setting with the foil covering them for 20 minutes.

Bill, may I suggest using a Grill Wizard. See if that works to your satisfaction.
let me know...

When you say the stainless steel isn't clean do you mean it's not shiny or that it has charred food stuck to it. Discolored stainless steel isn't a big problem. My ss grates are a dark grayish brown after being cooked off on the grill. They will get shiny silver if I want to work at it with a grill stone and steel wool, but why would I. Non-stick is what you're trying to get to, not shiny.

I don't care that it's not shiny. The problem is that food sticks to it no matter how much I scrape it with a grill brush or how much I oil it before use. And every now and then I get these wierd green patches that have to be scraped down.

Bill

I'll recommend the PCI grates from Home Depot. They are awsome. I went out and bought them for my Summit Gold D from the get go. I still have the stainless ones never used in the box.
icon_smile.gif

I picked up a Grill Wizard at Barbecues Galore this weekend. It seems pretty good. I'll let you know how it works out after I've tried to cook salmon. Fish gives me the biggest sticking problem.

Bill

When I say clean I mean Shiny bright, like new clean. The Grill stone will clean it to shiny bright clean, however it must essentially sand down the stainless steel bars, which I think will eventually wear down the grills, and as other have mentioned, causes food to stick.

I have been just using a Weber brass brush and it cleans the grills very well, only thing is the grills still remain discolored and dark looking, however food does not stick, so it seems thats the way it has to be.

They sear beautifully, with no sticking, just don't look as purdy as new.

That Stainless Grill Wizard looks to be an nice alternative to the Grill Stone as it probably is not as coarse and hash on the stainless grills. I may have to look for a simular item, if not the same.

I think Weber recommends that you shut down your grill when you are finished cooking and without cleaning it at that point. Sometimes I just give it a light brushing to knock off any largeish pieces of food. The greasy coating will protect it until you're ready to cook again. My theory is that during the cool-down, the grease on the grates might start to form sort of a nonstick coating, much like a cast-iron skillet. Then, when you're ready to cook, preheat the grill on high for 15 minutes. Only then do you scrub the grates.

I've had SS grates on my gasser for 2 or 3 years now and they usually come perfectly clean (not shiny, though) using this process.

As you all know, the trick is to oil your food, not the grill, before placing the food on the grill and not moving the food until it has a pretty decent sear. It will release when it is ready to be released.

I haven't tried the cast iron grates yet, but I really like my stainless ones. Wish there was a Rent-A-Grate around here so I could play with the cast iron grates a little.

Rita

I must be the only one then that places a sheet of aluminum foil over the grates then turn it on high for some 15 minutes. I never clean after I cook, only when ready to cook. I do this after about cooking on them about 10 times.
The other times I just let them get hot and brush with the Weber brass brush. The grease turns to a white ash that can be brushed away easily with the foil method. Try it, it works like a charm every time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And every now and then I get these wierd green patches that have to be scraped down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get these too Bill on my Genesis Gold C. Thought i was the only one. I asked Weber about it and they had no clue. I now keep the grill covered but in direct sunlight on the patio to see if that helps. (I think it is a form of mildew or rust and i am trying to get it out of the shade 24/7.)

My ss grates stay clean w/ease but the shiny silver finish is long gone on both the grates and the flavorizer bars...

On my gold C, I get very light rust patches on the grates and flavorizer bars. I think the SS is 400 series not 300 series. No big deal, it isn't enough to get on the food, I don't care what they look like as long as the grate cooks ok and it does. The outside of the grill still looks very nice.

Back