Charwood Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In 7-10 days I will be the proud owner of a Weber Smoker! In the meanwhile I have ordered charwood charcoal from Peoples et al and am now wondering if I have made a good choice for the Weber?

Never tried Charwood, but I have tried a few store brands of charcoal and Kingsford. I now only use Kingsford. It's relatively inexpensive when I buy it at Home Depot - $11.98 for 48 lbs. of charcoal. The nice thing about Kingsford it that it is available everywhere, it is consistent, it gives good long burns and it is easy to start. Be sure to get a chimney style charcoal starter if you don't already have one.

Once you use your Charwood charcoal, let us know how it goes.

SC Que

A small note to let all you WSMer's know how the use of charwood (vs. charcoal briquettes) went this weekend.

First, I'm nearly ecstatic about my new Weber smoker! For the first time in many, many years I felt I was in control of the smoker rather the opposite. I have used (and cursed!) most of another vendor's smoker line and although this particular company makes a very good grill (for the price) they really don't make a water smoker comparable to the WSM.

I have previously used charwood (when I could find it) and had very good success but was hesitant with the WSM given the chat-group's comments about how hot the WSM got. Controlling excessive heat has not been my problem in the past! I have owned smokers with external thermometers but have turned almost exclusively to the enjectable type after a 'bad hair' experience with turkey! This past Saturday (May 13th), I smoked a 4-5 pound eye-of-round roast using maple charwood (a large cereal box full) and 6 chunks of mesquite and only water in the liquid bowl cooking the roast to 165-175 internal degrees. Excellent results; neighbors came from near and far to see what smelt so good and my clan, uncharacteristically, devoured most of the roast!

Not that money is no object with my family (because it most definitely is!) but I've found that an untimely prepared, lousy smoked dinner is worse and wastes as much if not more money than the price difference between charcoal briquettes and charwood, not to mention the effect it has on my reputation with family and friends as a 'master backyard chef', my happy marriage and continuing friendly relationship with my children!

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back