Beam instead of JD for brine--is this okay?

Billy S

TVWBB Member
Merry Christmas!

Turkey is air drying In fridge as we speak. Brined 24 hrs in one cup Beam instead of jack. Is this okay? Too late now I guess lol. Thanks in advance!

Beam will work. Beam is Kentucky Bourbon. Jack is Tennessee Sour Mash. I understand that Jack meets all of the technical requirements to be called bourbon, EXCEPT that it is not produced in Kentucky - hence it is Tennessee Sour Mash - and it is also charcoal filtered - a step I am led to believe is in addition to the standard bourbon distilling process. That being said, DUDE, don't use the good stuff or the BRINE! Get some Early Times or Benchmark for the brine and use the Jack and Jim to brine yourself from the INSIDE! Merry Christmas!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Beam will work. Beam is Kentucky Bourbon. Jack is Tennessee Sour Mash. I understand that Jack meets all of the technical requirements to be called bourbon, EXCEPT that it is not produced in Kentucky - hence it is Tennessee Sour Mash - and it is also charcoal filtered - a step I am led to believe is in addition to the standard bourbon distilling process. That being said, DUDE, don't use the good stuff or the BRINE! Get some Early Times or Benchmark for the brine and use the Jack and Jim to brine yourself from the INSIDE! Merry Christmas! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat, Excellent observation Sir. It's a darn shame We have to play you Guys ...again. Y'All gave us all we wanted the 1st time!

Go LSU

Mike - we bleed Orange and Blue, not crimson and white, in our household. You guys kicked our butt around pretty good this year. Rest assured, we will be yelling Geaux Tigers around our house on January 9th!

Pat

turned out fabulous!! this was the juiciest turkey that I've ever tasted! Very impressive. My carving skills, however, leave a lot to be desired. I butchered the **** carcus. Good news is that I carved enough white and dark meat to present in a casserole dish.

I actually started carving the turkey upside down (I thought I was cutting into breast but was not--I finally realized what I was doing and turned that puppy back over!

Very good for my first turkey AND without doing a practice run!

Billy - been there done that with a turkey! I found some instructions on the internet for carving a turkey that involve removing both breasts whole, then slicing them into medallions and pulling the dark meat from the thighs. Since I found that, I've been getting a MUCH better yield on my turkeys!

Glad it came out well! Enjoy the leftovers!

Pat

Pat, if you'll go to the COOKING TOPICS PAGE and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a list of VIDEOS that Chris has made, including one on Carving a Turkey. There is lots of good information on that page.

Rita

Pretty much answered above. But I have done brines (and BBQ sauces) and substituted Beam and JD with excellent results a ton of times.

My favorite BBQ sauce recipe that I always have on hand in the fridge calls for bourbon. I change up depending on how I feel when picking up the bourbon
icon_smile.gif
) I.E. - which bottle I feel like working on while making the sauce
wsmsmile8gm.gif

There's a subtle difference in flavor, but both are excellent.

More noticeable in BBQ sauces than in the brine AFA finished product. In brine it's negligible IMHO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">been there done that with a turkey! I found some instructions on the internet for carving a turkey that involve removing both breasts whole, then slicing them into medallions and pulling the dark meat from the thighs. Since I found that, I've been getting a MUCH better yield on my turkeys! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pat,

I recently attended a cooking class at Robert Irvine's restaurant in Hilton Head Island (restaurant is named "Eat"). The Executive Chef showed us how to remove both breasts and carve into medallions. A simple process that does improve the yield.

Have a wonderful 2012.

Ray

Back