Sauce for Chuck Roll (RS)

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I developed this with a chuck roll that Ron S is cooking this weekend (his first, Go Ron!) in mind. He's using the un-modified version of Armadillo Willy's rub (salt, brown sugar, garlic and onion powders, black and cayenne pepper, paprika, crushed fennel seed, and coriander.

I think a standard tomato-based sauce would be good and easy. Onion and garlic of course, a little ginger, and various fruits to add sweetness and to support or play off the spicing. As counterpoint to the various sweeteners (fruit, caramelized onion, brown sugar, molasses) and to lend balance to the chuck roll (which can be unctuous) I'm using red wine.

During the process outlined below I suggest reserving on the side several items, mostly juices. I do this quite frequently when I make sauces, especially cooked sauces, and especially barbecue sauces. This is so that minor additions can be made at the end, after the resting juices are added and just before using or serving, to tweak the finished product. I recommend eating a little of the meat dipped in the sauce and making adjustments from there. Even with commercially prepared sauces (perhaps especially with them) a little addition of this and that can really make a difference.

This sauce does not require that you save drippings from during the cook, however best results are achieved, imo, if several tablespoons of the rested meat drippings (obtained from the foil) are whisked in near the end. If you have the time, about 15 min or so before unwrapping the meat, tear a small hole in a lower corner of the foil and drain some of the juices. You can drain to a fat separator, if desired, or just whisk it well to combine and use as is.

If you want a sauce with tiny bits and pieces of vegetable in it, mince the onion finely; lift the tomatoes out of their juices with a fork, put them in a wide bowl, and mash them. Alternatively, you can dice the onion, leave the tomatoes as is (they'll dissolve somewhat while cooking), and purée all or part of the sauce to achieve the texture you're looking for.

3/4 c pineapple juice

3/4 tsp fennel seed, crushed

1 orange, left whole, washed

2 Tbls oil

1 Tbls unsalted butter

1 large onion, minced or diced (see above)

pinch sugar

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger, or 1/4 tsp dried

1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1 Tbls brown sugar

3/4 c full-bodied dry red wine

2 tsp molasses

1 scant Tbls mustard seed powder mixed with 1 Tbls cold water, or 1 Tbls prepared mustard

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 c ketchup

1 can diced tomatoes in juice, drained (but not real well) juice reserved separately in the fridge

1 Tbls chile powder (Ancho, New Mexico, a commercial blend, whatever)

1 tsp ground chipotle powder

black pepper

pinch cumin

3-4 Tbls reserved juices from the resting meat

salt

pinch dried powdered or whole marjoram leaf, crushed

1 small lime, quartered, reserved in the fridge

In a small dry pot over medium heat toast the crushed fennel seed till just fragrant, about 60 secs. Add the pineapple juice and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and cook till reduced to 1/4 c or so. Pour through a sieve to strain out the fennel seed. Reserve the juice off heat.

Cut 2 center slices, about 1/4-inch thick, from the orange. Reserve the slices on a plate next to the stove. Wrap and reserve the remaining orange in the fridge.

In a wide sauté pan or medium pot over medium heat, melt the butter in the oil. When the foam subsides add the onion and cook till soft, about 7 min. Increase the heat to med-high, add a pinch of salt and the pinch of sugar and cook, stirring often, till the onions are just starting to turn light brown, several minutes more. Add the garlic and ginger; cook till just fragrant, about 1 min. Add the 2 reserved orange slices, mash briefly with a fork, then add the thyme and coriander; stir, cook till fragrant, about 1 min. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly and taking care that nothing starts to burn, till the sugar is melted and the juices in the pan are syrup-y, about 1-2 min more. Add the red wine all at once, stirring well and scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits; reduce heat to med-high and cook, stirring occasionally, the liquid in the pan is reduced by half, about 7 min or so.

Add the reserved reduced pineapple juice to the pot along with the molasses, mustard, and Worcestershire, stirring to incorporate well. Add the ketchup and the partially drained diced tomatoes; stir, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the chile and chipotle powders, several turns of the peppermill, and the pinch of cumin. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, till flavorful and somewhat thickened. Purée, if desired, in whole or part, and return to the pan. If not, or if puréed and a thicker sauce is desired, reduce further. Taste, but 'assume' the salt at this point, do not add any. Hold the sauce, covered, over very low heat, or cool and reserve in the fridge, covered, till ready to continue.

Heat the sauce over med-low heat. Add the collected resting meat juices, 1 Tbls at a time, stirring and tasting after each addition. Add the pinch marjoram. Stir. Adjust salt. Adjust sugar (using white sugar). Adjust chipotle. Taste a piece of meat with the sauce.

Get your reserved tomato juice, orange pieces, and lime quarters from the fridge. Taste the sauce and add any or all, if needed, a few drops at a time, till you hit a pleasing balance. Pull the meat, adding a little sauce and mixing, and adding a drop or two here and there of your reserved tomato, orange, and lime juices, if desired. Serve additional sauce on the side.

icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin..Thank You very much..
wow..
I'm speechless..
icon_biggrin.gif

Have all needed items...

Back