Indian Yellow Rice

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
In case you need a recipe to use up all that turmeric you bought, here's one that gets raves from everyone, and it's so pretty on the plate.

Serves 4

1 c. long grain white rice (you can use basmati if you wish)
1/2 t. turmeric
1 t. salt
2 bay leaves
2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
4-6 whole cardamom pods, cracked
1 stick cinnamon
1 3/4 c. water
Handful of chopped cilantro

Wash rice in cold water till it runs clear. Soak for 30 minutes. Drain well for 10 minutes.

Place all ingredients except cilantro in a rice cooker or saucepan with lid. Bring to boil, and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked. Remove seeds, garlic and bay leaves. Mix in cilantro.

Thanks Jane. I have printed a copy of your recipe and will try it soon.

By the way, my wife and I learned to eat rice with a good homemade yogurt on top as a garnish when we traveled in India. Your recipe sounds like a good one to serve with yogurt - try it sometime.

Ray

Yes, yogurt would definitely be a great accompaniment to this. I like to use the Greek style, it's thick, creamy and doesn't have a sweet taste to it.

Here we go...Jane sends me this recipe to use up my left over tumeric I bought to make Stogie's Yum Yum seasoning...now I gotta buy cracked cardamom pods....what is that?

Actually, the original recipe doesn't call for the pods, that was my own addition, and it makes a great difference in the flavor. I use the green ones in this, sorry I'm filling up your pantry again. If you can find them in bulk, just grab a few.

Jim and Jane,

Jim - Cardamom pods add a wonderful flavor and you can get them at reasonable prices at Penzeys.com. If you buy black pods, be sure to keep them in the refrig - it's ok to keep green ones on shelf / closet. Buy them Jim - you'll love the unusual flavor (they are a great addition to soups).

Jane - I frequently make tsa-tziki, a greek yogurt with dill, lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, and some sour cream. If you want the recipe, let me know. It is great with raw veggies as a dip.

Ray

Jane,

I also make the riata with cucumber - left out that ingredient when I was sending the note. Most Greek recipes call for mint but the dill is nice.

I will send you the recipe tomorrow - wife and I have plans for this evening - so must run.

Ray

Then what's the difference between raita and chatziki sauce? Forgot about the mint, I've never put that in. You learn somethin' new everyday!

Jane,

Probably not a lot of difference in my tza-tziki and some others. I will post the recipe today for you under the "appetizer" formu section. I hope you enjoy it.

Most traditionsl "greek" recipes call for mint instead of dill - you can experiment and see which you like best. My wife likes the thicker version described in the recipe.

This tza=tsiki is a great raw veggie dip and also goes well as a garnish / side dish. I make my yogurt with 2 % milm and it turns out fine. I use a starter called "Yogourmet" that I buy on the net.

Good luck with this recipe Jane.

By the way - in the town where I live there are many, many Cherry's. The subdivision I live in is Cherry Oaks North, and another subdivision nearby is Cherry Oaks. There is a small cemetary close by with only the Cherry family members interred there. Are you from this area?

Ray

Cherry is my husband's name. His family is from Spokane, but they've lived here for 35 years. I have a SIL who lives in Maryland. I've never been to your neck of the woods.

Back