flower pot bottoms

Dave/G

TVWBB Emerald Member
Are you ready for stupid question of the day #1?
Do you put the clay saucer in the water pan just as it would sit under a flower pot or do you flip it over so the bottom of the clay saucer is on top when in the water pan?
My wife tells me I'm mechanically challenged.
icon_smile.gif

Color me new and confused. I've seen so much about the use of the pot bottoms and foil balls.
BTW, I didn't mean to infer that there would be stupid question of the day #2 coming from anybody other than me. Give an old man a break
icon_razz.gif

Dave, wrap the 14 inch (36cm) terra cotta plant saucer in heavy duty foil. Then sit it inside of your water pan in order to catch the meat drippings, this makes cleanup a breeze. I take it a step further and use the Piedmont Pan mod using 2 Brinkman charcoal pans and then placing my foiled saucer on top. If I elect to use my bottom grate, I just sit it on top of the saucer and it works just fine. I never have to add fuel using this menthod, and like I said, cleanup is breeze.

Dave, a lot of people use nuts, bolts, and spacers to setup their Piedmont Pan mod, I simply use 4 one inch c-clamps and fasten them to the lip on the bottom pan and then just sit the top pan on the c-clamps that act as spacers.

I get the easier cleanup part. Getting rid of that water with all that pork fat in it isn't easy for me. Can't find an appropriate place for it. so far, I've emptied it in coffee cans, put the cans in a plastic bag and put the bag in a freezer I have on my porch. Then wait for monday when my garbage is picked up and hope it's not too hot outside.

Does everyone else place the clay pot base on top of the water pan? I use the base INSTEAD of the water pan. I don't understand why you'd need the water pan if the have the clay pot base on top, completely covering it.

Bill

The one I got was a little precarious on the brackets, but sits happy as a clam inside the stock water pan. The extra air layer is a bonus. If you have one that is secure on the water pan brackets, then I see no reason to nest inside.

I have never tried sitting my saucer on the brackets. I have always used it in conjunction with the Piedmont Pan mod. Like David and Scott said, I think it acts as a heat shield, providing more insulation. The saucer is just head over heals better when it comes time to clean up. I cook in the 230 to 250 range and never have I had to add fuel or stir the coals. Much more fuel efficient to.

I foil my 14" pan then I set it in my stock water pan and I foil the whole mess - I want to trap the air in the water (?) pan under the clay saucer.

So very easy, and if I want I can add more charcoal by lifting off the center section with no fears about the water sloshing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
Does everyone else place the clay pot base on top of the water pan? I use the base INSTEAD of the water pan. I don't understand why you'd need the water pan if the have the clay pot base on top, completely covering it.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 16-inch clay pot base. I use it instead of a waterpan. I place a meal 15-inch pizza pan on top of the clay pot base to catch the drippings.

I tried the unglazed clay pot base for two cooks and it worked great! I had taken the center section of the WSM to the local Half Price Pots and tried a few and found one with a nice thick base that fit perfect. It cracked, I don't know if it was the heat or 10 hours in the trailer, used JB Weld on it and started to crack again after one cook with a pizza stone in it, so I'm using pizza stones and grill lava rocks in the water pans.
Are you guys using glazed or unglazed saucers?

After reading everything I could find about clay pots/terra cotta saucers/ etc. on this forum, I decided to try one.

I found a 12.25" clay saucer at Home Depot for about $5.

I foiled my water pan. I set the clay saucer inside the water pan right-side up. The 12.25 saucer fit just right. I put foil over the clay saucer and water pan so that there would be an air layer under the foil. I then put the contraption in the center ring where the water pan goes.

I'm over 2 hours into my fist cook with the clay pot. I have found that with a clay pot temperatures are much more sensitive to small changes in air flow through the vents.

I've been holding a 230 temperature for over 1/2 hour now with the top vent wide open and one bottom vent open 20%. The other two bottom vents are closed.

Best,
Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe L:
I'm over 2 hours into my fist cook with the clay pot. I have found that with a clay pot temperatures are much more sensitive to small changes in air flow through the vents.

Best,
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I sure like the fact that if yu adjust the vent you don't have to wait 30 minutes before the temp changes - the saucer has less buffering capacity than the water pan, which is a good thing to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
I sure like the fact that if yu adjust the vent you don't have to wait 30 minutes before the temp changes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right about that. That was an unexpected benefit, but a small change in airflow does lead to a much quicker change in temperature than with water.

BTW, the ribs turned out great -- best spares I've ever done. They weren't done until almost 10:00 p.m., but they were worth waiting for.

I've learned that before getting a WSM, when I smoked on a kettle the temp was bouncing all over the place, which led to unpredictable results. With the WSM and a remote thermometer, I can keep the temp within a 15 to 20 degree range for hours. That makes a big difference in the predictability of results.

Best,
Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I modded my water pan yesterday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JD, I'm curious, what size did you go with? From your pictures I would guess 14". I've been using a 14" and just this past weekend picked-up a 12" so it would fit in the bowl vs. on the top (rim) of my bowl. I did this as I did a brisket this past weekend and it was brought to my attention that using the 14" bowl may not allow enough airflow between the clay saucer and the brisket. Brisket turned out like crap, but I don't think it was the saucer, probably more operator error (more to come in the BBQ Forum).

I think I'm going to reserve my 12" for butts and briskets and use my 14" for everything else. Also, I turned my 12" saucer upside down to create additional air-pocket.

BTW - Did you notice how little fuel you used during your smoke?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I tried the unglazed clay pot base for two cooks and it worked great! I had taken the center section of the WSM to the local Half Price Pots and tried a few and found one with a nice thick base that fit perfect. It cracked, I don't know if it was the heat or 10 hours in the trailer, used JB Weld on it and started to crack again after one cook with a pizza stone in it, so I'm using pizza stones and grill lava rocks in the water pans.
Are you guys using glazed or unglazed saucers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you using the pot base alone or with the stock pan? If you're using the pot base alone try getting one that fits inside the water pan instead, the water pan should protect the base from the direct heat of the fire.

I did my first clay pot smoke last weekend with some nice baby backs. Temps came up very quick, however I found it was VERY easy to stabilize temperatures. The temps responded very quickly to adjustments in the airflow. Since I wasn't going to be heating up any water, I also used less charcoal in the ring, and it still had a good amount of unburnt fuel after a 5 hour smoke @ 230-250.

Love this mod!

Hello everyone! My name is Larry and This is probably dumb but could someone explain the Piedmont water pan mod for me. About a week ago I did a brisket and a pork loin on the top rack and it turned out great. I kept the heat in the 225 to 250 range. Im a newbie but I would like to do better. thank you

Back