Spares in the Oven

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Snowing and blowing here today (even though it's only 32o F) and ain't no way I'm smoking today.

I found a rub recipe that I would use on this 4 lb pack of spares.

There's cayenne and pepper and chili powder and boy, I thought it was gonna be some spicy.

Not so much. I used the rub over oil and the spares marinated over-night wrapped in plastic. I wanted to try a "no sauce" method because although wifey will eat my BBQ Rum sauce, she prefers dry. New recipe, watta heck I'll try them too.

Here they are ready to go in the oven.
IMG_1144.jpg

I put 2 cups of boiling water in the bottom of the rack (like in the WSM--not used for moisture I know but I wanted to try to replicate the cook as close as possible) but not so much to suck out too much heat OR to make the bark soggy.

It wasn't "crisp" but the bark held together nicely and provided some extra flavour. The pork flavour really shone in this/the spice marinade didn't really add much IMO, more like background (which is good as you want to taste the pork and the spices not so much).

I did them at 330o F and planned on 4 hr. Tried the pull test and nope, not ready.

Five hours in and the meat pulled back and separated nicely and oh so tender (at the ends and about 3/4 down the rib). Stiffened up (didn't pull away too easily) near the back bone so I'll give 'em 6hr next time.

sparesaredone.jpg

I proved that you can do them low and slow (electric oven) and get tender and juicy ribs. Just no smoke (ring or smoke flavour).

Once in a while, that's OK too.

Bet they were good. Im one of those that ALWAYS rubed my ribs so hard i almost dident feel the pork flavour. A thin layer is all thats needed.

Back