fish on the q

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so i did some mahi mahi fillets on the q. did fine but they did stick a little especially after i turned them. i cleaned the grill well first including oiling the grate first but still stuck when i took them ff. any suggestions ? phil ? thanks,

I've had the same problem w/ some fish. I'm thinking of using a fish basket, but of course, the grill marks probably won't look as good. I did cook some salmon (see one of my prior posts w/ pics), and somehow, it didn't seem to stick as bad as I remmeber w/ other fish. Did you oil the mahi?

OK
Another one of my secrets exposed.
I use this regularly when doing fish. You still end up with great grill marks. To clean just wash in warm soapy water.
You place it directly on the grill but make sure you leave room for the air to circulate. I cover 3/4's of the grill on the Q. It also works on the Genesis.
Don't use it on a kettle
A thin fillet of fish takes 2 minutes per side on high on the Genesis. A light brushing of melted butter and season with salt before cooking.
It is the absolute best thing to use for salmon fillets. It is also good for onions and veggies.
BBQ Grill Sheet It says it is for a griddle but we (my friends and many of the people that I have demonstrated cooking on this to) use it direct on the Q or on a Weber Genesis/Spirit or Summit grill. It works well I have been using mine for about 18 months.

The other good ways are Cedar Planked fish, or the Weber grill tray.

Regards

I find that if you put a thin layer of oil on the fish as well as on the grill you get nice marks and the fish doesn't stick. Be sure to re-oil the grill and the second side of the fish right before flipping.

Bill

no i did not oil the fish. will do next time.
yea, i do use a differant section when turning over. it wasn't that bad and in this case we were making fish tacos so not a real loss but just wanted to get better at it. not sure grill sheets are in the u.s.. interesting. thanks !

George
The Grill sheets are available from Amazon in the US. that is the site that you go to when you click on BBQ Grill sheet.
Mate, all I can say is that they are highly recommended by every user.

Regards

Soooo, you oil the grate, oil and season the fish. Cook the fish on one side to get the pretty grill marks - love the grill marks - then lift with a large spatula and transfer to the grill sheet to finish?

I did snapper and grouper last weekend on my Genesis and the first turn was fine, but when I tried to lift the fish once they were finished, the second side wanted to stick a little bit.

PFS

Pat
Get the grill sheet and get rid of the problem. the grill sheet is teflon. It reduces the amount of oil required. I always use melted butter on the fish. Sometimes, depending on the fish I will add lemon juice to the butter.
I make a whole Snapper taste like Lobster.

Regards

So grill the fish on both sides on the grill sheet? It doesnt' hit the bare grill at all?

I can do that!

Thanks!

Pat

Pat,
I can verify what Phil says about the grill sheet. I admit,at first I had my reservations about laying the sheet ontop of the grill bars but after using it a few times, it's great.
You still get the signature grill marks on the meat or veggies without burning them to a crisp.
I haven't tried the sheet with fish yet but I will very soon.
Just give your food a light spray of oil or a brush with butter etc but not the sheet(theres no need) and the results will be fantastic and hopefully your fish will be intact.

Cheers

Davo

Back