Zinfandel sauce

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
Anyone ever try to mix this wine in with their sauce or make a sauce with it? Sounds good to me. May try it on one of may racks of spares today. I have used pineapple juice with good results, this caught my eye when I saw it.
(Kevin, I know that you had to thought of this or tried it. I'd be willing to bet on it!)
icon_wink.gif

http://www.atasteofcalifornia.com/Recipes/ZinfandelGrilledSteak.cfm

Zinfandel
by Sharon Rosenbaum, Senior Wine Buyer
Zinfandel is California's most versatile and widely planted red wine grape. Depending upon where it is grown and how it is handled, Zinfandel will yield a wide variety of wine styles, ranging from light and delicate (sometimes compared to Beaujolais), to rich, complex and mouth-filling with long aging potential. The gamut includes everything in between, along with rosés (white Zinfandel) and port-type wines. Whatever the style, the wines will have a characteristic spiciness and flavor similar to wild blackberries. The late 1970s saw the American wine consumer move away from red wines in general, California reds specifically, and sales of red Zinfandel fell by over 50%. Zinfandel growers responded by using their grapes to produce a pink semi-sweet wine which they marketed as White Zinfandel and could sell a few months following the harvest. White Zins became the "in" wine and many new wine consumers were unaware that red Zinfandel had ever existed.

During the last several years, the robust red version has made somewhat of a comeback, which is fortunate because it is the best use of the grape. Though Zinfandel has been cultivated in California for nearly 130 years, its origin remained a mystery until recent studies linked it to southern Italy's Primitivo grape. Considering the quality of the grape, it is surprising that it is not grown more extensively outside the U.S. Colors range from garnet to dark ruby. Red Zinfandels are generally dry and match well with a wide variety of straight-forward foods, including pizza, pasta, pork dishes, spiced chicken, barbecued foods, and well-seasoned fowl. Drink at cool room temperature.

Food Recipe to accompany Zinfandel
by Camille Stagg
Camille says..T-bone steaks are brushed with a garlic and honey-mustard butter before grilling, which renders a crisp, charred exterior over a juicy, succulent interior. The Zinfandel Sauce has balsamic vinegar, oregano and chives for added flavor. Grill potatoes, onions and zucchini to complete the menu.

Ingredients
2 T-bone steaks*, (about 1 pound), cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
21/2 tablespoons softened butter, divided
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon honey mustard
3/4 cup Zinfandel
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 3/4 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 4 sprigs oregano *
Porterhouse steaks can be used instead, if preferred

Preparation

Trim excess fat from steak; slash fatty edges to prevent curling during cooking. Rinse steak; pat dry with paper toweling. In small bowl, blend 11/2 tablespoons butter with garlic and mustard. Lightly brush half the mixture over the steaks. Place steaks on grill over medium-hot, ash-covered coals. Cook uncovered 10 to 11 minutes, turning once, until medium-rare or a bit longer for medium. Avoid cooking to well-done stage.
Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes. While steak is cooking, heat wine in small saucepan over high heat until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon softened butter; consistency should be creamy. Add balsamic vinegar, chopped oregano and chives, salt and pepper and the remaining butter-mustard mixture. Serve with steak. Garnish with oregano sprigs.

Preparation time: 20 minutes.

Cooking time: about 15 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

Haven't tried it, but it looks good!

Yepper, Bob, you win the bet. Sorry I'm late on this.

If you wish, bring the sauce you have on hand to a simmer, add roughly 1 T of wine/cup, return to a simmer, then reduce to your desired consistency. Zin is good with duck and lamb, too, as well as with beef, as you'd imagine. I make several sauces with Zin and I'll post them in the sauce section and come back here and add the link.

Okay--the link for two sauces and a finish glaze are here.

Thanks for both of the replies. I saw it mentioned in the BBQ USA book, and thought it looked good. I didn't have time to make anything from scratch for Sunday, so I just used my regular sauce and added it to that and let it simmer for a while. I thought is was very good and will try it from scratch next time.
Thanks for the post also in the sauce section, and the link Jim.

Back