Just picked up a SJG

Mac Mayhew

TVWBB Member
I realize my experience isn't new, but I wanted to reiterate something that many people have experienced:

I just picked up a Smokey Joe Gold, mainly for camping and ease of packing. I already have the Silver model, which works great, but I wanted something that is a bit easier to pack and doesn't make the mess that the Silver model does.

I used lump and filled the charcoal section about 3/4 full. It started out fine, but by the end of the cook (just did chicken breasts with peach wood added) there was a noticeable decline in heat output. I never have had the problem with the Silver model.

I like the features of the Gold model, but the whole vent arrangement just doesn't work. On the WSM, even though the vents are above the charcoal, it still works well because you are cooking with lower temperatures. With this model however, I think it's a problem.

If you are not concerned with high heat, I think the model works well. Otherwise you are much better off with the Silver model or with a modified version with a vent on the bottom.

Does anyone know if Weber has ever addressed this issue (i.e. yes, we know it's an issue, and would suggest the Silver model if you are interested in higher heat)? Or do they deny it?

If you are so inclined, you can install a bottom vent on a SJG and then you can have a SJ-Hybrid. Roll either way you want!

Pat

"If you are so inclined, you can install a bottom vent on a SJG and then you can have a SJ-Hybrid."

To my point -- while this grill is OK, to make it work as it should, you need to modify it.

Can you buy a vent kit or a circular vent plate/rivet? I looked on the weber parts site and didn't see any vent parts.

Anybody added a vent to any weber kettle or WSM?

I was thinking of adding a circular vent to my access door to allow for higher smoke roasting temps.

Mac,
I just went thru this, bought a new SJG, got an extra bottom and lid vent from Weber, and added them. MAN DOES THAT THING BREATH NOW! Honestly, I think I could have just added the bottom vent, and had a unit that would stay hot with the lid fully on, but with the extra lid vent there is no doubt that it stays lit.
Add the vent(s), and enjoy!
Terry

I appreciate all of the responses so far.

Really, I'd like to be able to use the thing without having to modify it. I understand that a new vent on the bottom would increase air flow and increase heat, but it would also take away one of the advantages of the Gold model (at least in my opinion): no risk of charcoal or ash falling out and ease of packing.

I may try Paul's coal configuration suggestions and see how that works -- thanks for the diagram!

Back