Chicken (or turkey) Pot Pie

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
The recipe below was given to me by a lady named Edna Studley of Laurel, Delaware in 1975. It was passed on to her from her mom, and was considered a family original. It is still a favorite.

Ray

Chicken Pot Pie
(This recipe was modified from Edna Studley’s family’s original.)

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup frozen green peas
1/3 cup butter
½ cup flour
1 cup water
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup half & half
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
hot sauce
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
frozen pie crust dough

? Saute onion, celery, and carrot in butter for 10 minutes.
? Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well. Cook 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly.
? Combine broth, water, and half & half, and then gradually stir into the vegetable mixture.
? Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
? Stir in salt and pepper, and a dash or two of hot sauce.
? Add frozen green peas and chicken, stirring well.
? Pour mixture into a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with pastry.
? Cut slits to allow steam to escape, and decorate with pastry cutouts if desired.
? Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Yield: 6 servings

Many thanks, Ray. It sounds easy and delicious. I've copied it into my files and will use it for individual pies using my leftover turkey.

Rita

Ray, you might want to keep your eye open for the January issue of Cook's Illustrated, where you'll find a recipe for Skillet Chicken Pot Pie.

Rita

Ray, that recipe looks good but I like a top and bottom crust on my pot pies. Do you have a crusted pot pie recipe?

Thanks and aloha!

Greg Kemp

Greg,

Don't have a crusted recipe but I would try this one with a pie crust placed in the pan and baked, then add the other ingredients and bake again. Anyone else have any thoughts to help Greg.

And "Aloha" to you this fine Sunday. We are on vacation at Hilton Head Island, SC and really enjoy this island. Grilled some bone-in chicken breasts last night with some apple wood chunks thrown on the coals and served with a spicy greeen onion sauce. Very good.

Ray

It's funny how the same named foods are made different depending wht area you are from. You being familar with my area Ray (pa dutch), you remember what Pot Pie is like around here with the cut up dough "noodles" in it.
Around here, I guess that would just be called chicken pie maybe lol? Looks very good, whatever it would be called around here!

Have you ever had chicken and waffles Ray? I could eat that every week!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't have a crusted recipe but I would try this one with a pie crust placed in the pan and baked, then add the other ingredients and bake again. Anyone else have any thoughts to help Greg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Normally you wouldn't blind-bake (pre-bake with weights) the bottom crust on a double-crust pie because you want to crimp the crusts together to seal them. I'd suggest using a pie plate (preferably glass) but the shallow casserole suggested would work if it has an edge.

Roll the dough out to a thickness of two quarters (stacked) in the approximate shape of whatever plate or casserole you are using but significantly larger to accomodate the depth of the plate plus some overhang. Lay the dough over the plate and ease it in gently to cover the bottom and sides. (Do not stretch the dough--stretched dough shrinks.) Trim off anything more than an inch of overhang. Take the overhang and fold it under itself so that it is even with the edge of the plate.

To help prevent a soggy bottom crust you can whisk an egg white well and paint it on the bottom and sides of the crust; chill for 10 min. Alternatively, just chill the bottom crust for 20 min. Or, alternatively, gently press some toasted finely chopped nuts into the bottom of the crust (almonds come to mind for this recipe but pecans would be good too).

Roll out your top crust as you did the bottom (same thickness but make it smaller--you'll still want a .75- or 1-inch overhang). Fill the bottom crust with the prepared filling and lay the top crust over. Trim the overhang if needed then fold it back under itself and make it even with the bottom crust. Crimp the crusts together with a fork or flute with your fingers. Slit the top in several places.

If you want a sheen paint the crust with beated egg white or milk. If you'd like a dark, glossy finish paint with heavy cream or an egg yolk well beaten with a t of water. Don't let the egg pool on the crust (it will overbrown) and don't paint the crimped edges or they will overbrown. Paint them the last 10-15 min of baking.

Putting the pie on a sheetpan for baking will help the bottom crust as well.

While you're doing the above pre-heat the oven. I am thinking that 400 would be too low for this pie in a double-crust version and would try 425.

Bob-

I am glad you mentioned waffles and chicken--an excellent dish that I have not thought of in some time. Been a long time since I made it.

Ray--

Waffles and chicken?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have you ever had chicken and waffles Ray? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never had waffles and chicken but it sounds interesting. Exactly how do you make it? Is it similar to a chicken hash / gravy over waffles? Do either of you have a recipe?

And Bob - whenever I think of your area, I always think of those outstanding funnel cakes!

It's now 6:15 am here on Hilton Head and I am heading over to Dafuskie Island to play golf with two friends. Life is good!
Ray

Ray, I don't have the recipe, but my Mom would just roast a whole chicken or two, pick it off the bone and make a big pot of gravey with the chicken it it, then poured over homemade waffles. Mashed tators on the side, some good peas also. A real comfort food. I'll have to get a hold of her to see for sure what she does.
Funnel cakes....Mmmmmmmmm. Love 'em!

Kevin gives good advice about using a sheet pan. Also, if you preheat the sheet pan along with the oven and then set the ready-to-bake pan of pot pie on it, you'll get even better browning. Pyrex, if using, should take the heat OK because I do that with pies.

Rita

Back