q cook

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so last week i used the q220 for the first time in a while. things went well and i was happy to be reminded how well it cooked. then last night i cooked up some pork steaks and then some salmon steaks for the wifey. but i noticed something. i had to have the gas cranked up almost to full just to get 300 deg. so i'm looking at the flame and it looks just fine. so i'm just staring into space and then i see the small amount of smoke going sideways out of one side. hmmmm, this can't be good. so i kinda block the other side as there is just a very small breeze going sideways to the grill. sure enough, the temp went right up immediately when i blocked the flow of air. most might have not really felt the breeze but i was lookin for reasons why the temp was low. looks like that small breeze was blowing out the heat. i couldn't move the grill so i just kinda blocked the wind for the remainder of the time. so i'm gonna build a metal blocking sheet for the next time. is there a reason that the gasser doesn't have a vent on top like the char gue ?

Not sure George, but I think that since they had put recesses in the lid to accommadate the folding tables, they simple had them double as vents as well
icon_smile.gif

Amazing a small breeze would make that much temp difference isn't it? I'll check that the next time mine doesn't jump up to temp like it should I was thinking maybe I had some holes in the burner tube that were getting clogged, but I suspect you've found the real culprit to the grill not getting up to temp!

Thanks George!

Pat

The breeze can contribute to the max temp, however there is another factor that also contributes. Check your gas supply system. Twisted or kinked hoses, Check the spiderguard for blockage (brush with an old tooth brush. Brush the burner tube with a wire brush.
Carry out the Regulator reset - Turn off the bottle and the Q, wait 30 seconds, turn on the bottle slowly about 2 - 2 1/2 turns, wait 20 seconds turn on Q wait 5 seconds and light.

I do this when I notice my Q not performing up to spec, it seems to get it running better.
I found that generally it took a strong breeze to drop the temp, if you have a lower gas flow then a slight breeze could do it.

Hope this helps

Regards

phil. i was using a bottle. flame was as it always is so not the issue. i stuck my arm just in front of the side vent and within a few seconds i could see the temp start to climb and go up 25 deg in less than fifteen seconds. then it would go further as more time went by up to a fifty deg rise with just my arm blocking the breeze.

George
Whilst the flame may be the same the volume could be down and the breeze is changing the characteristics of the burn. Just a thought as I am led to beleive that Weber did do breeze tests during development/testing. If a breeze deflector fixes the problem - do it.
My recommendation is a standard fault diagnosis/maintenance tecnique that I use.

Cheers Mate.

Back