smoked peppers?

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
All,

I am about to receive some fresh hot peppers. Has anyone a good recipe for smoking them? I would like to preserve/flavor some of this years batch for later use.

Jason yes there is a great simple recipie.Stuffed Jalapenos, cut the top off the Pepper core them out and stuff with any meat or cold cut and any type of cheese then pin the top back on with tooth picks and wrap with bacon and smoke for aprox 45 min.Try ro find a way to stand them up or there are Chille Grills for sale on most any bbq site or direct from Amazon at the top of the home page on this site---hope this helps
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well I just dry them and smoke them. Then grind them to whatever consistency I want them. Store them in an air tight container ie: old spice bottles.

Jason,
I've smoked chipotles (jalapenos), Anchos (Poblanos), as well as NM Chili, etc...
My preference its to split the chili (speeds up the drying), place on pizza screens that are stacked with wooden spacers and smoked at a low temp, then they are allowed to continue to fully dry. As far as how much smoke? Shortest I've gone is five or six hours - longest, a couple of days with an on and off fire.
You can finish in a really low oven, a dehydrator or I've even left them in the smoker in the sun to finish the drying process. Point being you want to remove "almost" all the moisture before storing them. The preference is for pliable rather then crisp, although I usually end up with some of those as well.

I've done em two ways. One, smoked and dried in the smoker and smoked for 3-5 hours, then finished in a dehydrator. I prefer the dehydrator finnish. I do split the peppers before smoking.

I smoke Pasillas/Poblanos for traditional mole sauce. Split them open, pull out the pith and seeds. I like using mesquite wood, no water pan. Try to keep it at 100 or so degrees - about 8-10 hours. I'm not trying to get the totally dried out crunchy version, but some softness withgood smoke and color. They will freeze very well. I do a mess of them at one time and then pull them from the freezer for whatever I'm cooking. Usually that's a traditional mole poblano.
Mesquite is pretty pronounced, but it's a good pairing for the chilis.

Back