Apple-Brined Whole Turkey

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a recipe for apple-brined turkey that would be great cooked on the WSM.

• 1 12-14 lb turkey
  • 2 quarts apple juice
  • 1 lb brown sugar
  • 1 cup kosher salt
  • 3 quarts water
  • 3 oranges, quartered
  • 4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
  • 15 whole cloves
  • 6 bay leaves
  • 6 large garlic cloves, crushed
  • vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter
Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40*F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients and stir. Place rinsed, drained whole turkey into the brine. Use a heavy weight to keep the bird submerged, if necessary.

Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove turkey from brine and pat dry inside and out. Fold wing tips under the bird. Brush outside surface with vegetable oil or melted butter.

Cook at 325-350*F to 160-165*F in the breast, 170-175*F in the thigh. Let rest 15-20 minutes before carving.

Hiya, Chris - I'll vouch that this recipe is outstanding. The apple juice adds a very tasty touch to turkey meat. Even just a gallon of apple juice to 1 cup Diamond K-salt (OR 3/4 Morton K salt OR 1/2 cup table salt) to a cup of brown and/or white sugar makes a great turkey brine. Works well for frying them, too...

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Hey Chris - I too have done this recipe, with one exception, I cooked/smoked it on my kettle instead of my wsm. I did it for christmas and everyone loved it.

Back