Ever freeze ABTs?

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I'm making up a bunch of ABTs to take camping and I was wondering if anyone has ever frozen ABTs before. I have frozen the filling with no ill effects but I have never frozen them completely assembled. Any tips or ideas? I plan on freezing them and putting them in a ziplock bag. I hope they hold together.

With toothpicks still in them, they should hold together fine. I don't think the jalapenos will retain a good consistency after thawing; they'll essentially be twice cooked. You might try a sample run before the trip. Off the top of my head, to avoid the most problems, you'd probably want to thaw them completely before reheating. Otherwise you'll be looking at crispy or worse bacon and semi-frozen filling. Any reason you couldn't assemble in advance (fresh not frozen) and grill/smoke them at the camp?

Paul

Actually my plan is to do everything but cook them prior to freezing. I want to scoop, stuff, and wrap them then freeze. They will be cooked for the first time while camping. I wanted to freeze them so they would last longer in the cooler. I wasn't planning on making them until friday or saturday.

Unfortunately, frozen jals will lose their skins and become very soft when thawed. They'll cook - eventually - but you have to then overcome their mushiness by cooking longer. Doesn't work well with the bacon on there.

Go with Paul's suggestion: Assemble in advance then fridge them rather than freeze. They will be fine in the frisge for a couple or three days. The shorter the better but don't sweat it. If you need a three- or four-day advance then no big deal. Place them in a hard/firm Tupperware (or the like) container on a double layer of paper towel, ditto on top, with a sturdy lid. Use a few containers if necessary. If you can keep them from jostling around they'll be fine. Whatever ice you have in the cooler will be sufficient to keep them chilled enough. Safety-wise, cooking will handle pasteurization so no issue there.

Back