Cast Iron Camp Fire Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

I do alot of Dutch Oven cooking and found that most any recipe made for a crock pot works perfect as the Dutch oven is basically a outdoor crock pot.

I take a pot roast, with the usual taters, onions, carrots,etc. works great.

I have been known to add Italian Sausage, regular pork sausage, cream of mushroom soup and several other things experimenting. (Not all of this at the same time of course.)

My favorite was adding deer stew meat with the pot roast, it seems to add a more gamey taste to the beef.

Randy

Better than a Crockpot! If you have a real Dutch oven--and by that I mean one with a flat, rimmed lid for piling coals atop ( http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:rT5lpKisSKIrlM:ht...20-%25208%2520Qt.jpg ) you can use this feature to have heat from the top as well as the bottom, essential imo for superior pot roast and other low/slow meats--and, of course, essential if using the oven for baking biscuits or cornbread. And if you want to low/slow dinner, plan to be gone all day or otherwise unable to monitor a fire, you can build a charcoal fire in a hole in the morning (or use burned down wood still going from last night's campfire), assemble your dinner pot (layers of soaked dried beans, meats, vegs, spices, herbs, plenty of water, a little beer), and put the pot on the coals in the hole, putting some of the coals on top of the pot then burying the whole thing. Dinner in 6 hours.

Kevin, we do have a couple of real dutch ovens. The in ground cook sounds great. I assume you use a layer of coals on the bottom and on the top. Just cover with loose soil....

Steve; this one is good for breakfast or for supper. Our scouts called it "Mountain Man". It is a layered dutch oven meal. Start with a layer of breakfast sausage links cut into bite size pieces about 1/2" long. Next is a layer of potatoes about 3/8 square, (or Ore-Ida potatoes Obrien). Next layer is pre cooked bacon cut into small bite sized pieces. Next a layer of diced onion. Next a
layer of beaten scrambled egg mixture. After the
egg have cooked some, add a layer of shredded cheddar. As the cheese begins to melt top with a layer of cornbread mix batter. Serve so each person gets all the food layers. It's good stuff
and something that all our scouts would eat.

Depending on temp, 30-40 minutes max.
The eggg and cheese layers dont take much time but
the cornbread will go 10-15 minutes. I start with
most of the coals on the bottom, but transfer them to the lid as the eggs go in.

Bob, I have watched some dutch oven cooking...more than I have 'done' any.

In terms of a weber chimney-how much charcoal do I need for the Mnt. man breakfast?

Or should I be thinking # of briquets?

Steve, we dont use Weber chimneys, we use concerted 5 gal pails for uor chimney starters.
But in terms of number of briquets about 16-18.
It will vary with the size of your dutch oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back