Al Capone Roast

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I have been wanting to make this bad boy for quite a while. The weather was so nice today so why not.

12010504.jpg

First I had to get out the big hammer and go Mid-Evil on the 1.5# flank steak.

12010501.jpg

Next up some chopped Baby Bella shrooms and good Spanish olives.

12010502.jpg

A layer of fine shaved Prosciutto to cover that up. Then I got carried away and forgot to take pictures. After the prosciutto I added a layer of mortadella (ok it was garlic bologna, very similar.) Finished with a layer of fresh whole milk mozzarella. Then truss and sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.

12010503.jpg

It was pretty windy so even at 45 deg I need a wind break to maintain the 350deg cook temp.

12010505.jpg

Grill shot with tatters.

12010506.jpg

Plated money shot. Good light is hard this time of year.

12010507.jpg

I will be making this one again. Changes will be fresh garlic, and add in some chopped Peperoncini. Also go with a 2+# flank steak.

Looks great Tim! If you want an easier method than pounding it flat, I had good luck butterflying a flank for my Throwdown cook. Speaking of which, thanks for waiting until after December 31st to make this!

Heck of a cook Tim, everything looks great. Way to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather.

Speaking of which, thanks for waiting until after December 31st to make this!

my thoughts exactly
icon_biggrin.gif

pretty cool stuff, and one more bit of support for how cool flank can be.

Thanks for the kind words, every one.
Jon, the reason I pounded the flank was I had some aggression to take out.
icon_wink.gif

I went looking in both of my freezers for the nice thick 2 1/2# flank I bought last month to make this roast. It is nowhere to be found.
icon_mad.gif

So I had to drive 25 miles one way to get another. I would have butterflied it, but it was too thin.
This still turned out very good.

Back