Guru/Stoker for Altitude

KevinB

Hello,
Have a WSM on order. I live in Colorado at 7500 feet. Was looking at the Guru or Stoker. I read that this altitude needs more air, uses more fuel, etc..so I thought this might help.

i'm about 6300, your way up there bud.
icon_smile.gif
where do you live? anyway my pitminder runs here and all but i was kinda in the middle of trying to get it to just work normaly to start
icon_smile.gif
so im not much help right now, but I personally cant imagine you'll have any special trouble, being that before I owned a guru, my wsm held really steady temps, I don't know if that applies to the same principle but let me know how yours runs, I've been enjoying the hot weather on the western slope, hope yours is just as good, lots of birds, but also lots of bugs this year though, too!! have a good one. -Dan

EDIT: I sorta mis-read your post I guess, shoot. But I think I get it now. I thought you were asking about it but you already ordered all the stuff, thats cool. If your into saving money, I can verify having NO problems without using a guru. I don't butn a bunch of fuel, or ahve any problems without a guru. But if your unit (guru) works properly for you, then that should do the whole cook for you and not have to worry about temps. hardly at all, (although, you don't have to worry do much w/ out one either) hopefully I get there, too. -Dan

Thanks Dan. I live just north of Colorado Springs. You read it right the first time, I have the WSM on order, but not the Guru/Stoker. I was just thinking about if it would make my world easier. Read alot of posts of people getting the temps up and maintaining. I also read not to use water...at my elevation, water boils around 197. I see how it all goes after I get it....sounds like you have good luck without one.

i've used water, successfully, I've used an empty foiled pan, successfully, and I have a clay saucer for some reason foiled in the water pan and all of the above with no guru, Lately. the saucer may help the steadiness, but I personnally am starting to think its just sitting in there doin nothing, hehe. I run with all vents closed but one and adjust with that one, it may be wrong, or maybe right but it sure works and tastes good. just remember with no water in pan (i've noticed the following) your temp will be more sensitive in that, I try not to let it get away from me (go higher then desired at startup) and it was helpfull to me to have the thermometer alarm of somesort in case sun came around the corner or whatever... they don't take long to respond w/ no water or thermal mass (but i'm only used to water having the biggest effect, i've never used sand etc. seems funny to me) mostly this is why I only work the easiest to reach vent, and just the one, with no water it doesn't take much throttle to get er hot. top vent wide open and enjoy, im confident you'll be happy, and if not I gaurantee from this site you can get it fixed just like you like it. BUT you def. can use water at our elevations, I used to a lot, it burns more fuel but...... to me not to bad, just takes more to keep her hot. whatever you decide will work, when water was used, I used AlL the bottom vents as well. I was currently having problems with my guru (long story, but I posted about it) or i'de love to tell you the benifits. Seems to me everyone is tickled with it holding within 5 degrees easy as long as you have fuel... which means basicly you could seriously hold a specific temp. for like....hours and hours.. maybe 22 even, or so. All I can tell you is mine W/O a guru, is easy to hold within 10 degrees for the same amount of time. I deal with heat surges once in a while, and drops once in a while, but all minor. ex: for a 6 or 8 hour cook, i'll bring myself to adjust 3-7 times, depending on pickiness. apperently the guru, none times, for most, except me, lol. I wanted a guru, for all night briskits, and pork butts... etc. you pry know all of the above so i'll shut up! take it easy. -Dan

Back