Smokey Joe Gold - my venting experience

Paul A.B.

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Just joined the forum. What a great place!

I'd like to share my experience using my new Smokey Joe Gold. Lots of people have commented, both here and elsewhere, about how the side vents can be problematic. I only used my SJG once because I got it late in the season and so I haven't experimented too much ... but here it goes anyway.

One full chimney of lump was ignited and poured into the SJG. With the cover open, the heat was intense and remained so for while I seared pork chops. The coals were sort of spread out evenly across the lower grate. With both side vents and the cover vent wide open, I noticed after a couple of minutes that the coals were beginning to die out. This was cause for concern and so I finished via direct grilling only.

As I say, I haven't used the grill since October (that darn thing called winter has been a problem...) but I was intrigued by something I read here in another post: to use the SJG for indirect grilling, one may need to bank the coals next to one of the side vents, close that side vent while leaving the other one open, and then putting the cover down so that its vent is directly over the banked coals. This sounds like it might create a non-linear, but ultimately workable airflow inside the kettle.

Alternatively - and this is where I'd love to hear others' experiences - I suppose you could bank the coals perpendicular to both side vents, and leave them both open for maximum "side-&-down" draw. Is this likely to give a better temperature for indirect grilling?

I'll try all that out this season and will report back, but thought it would be fun to share some ideas already now.

What definitely doesn't work, in my experience, is having the coals evenly spread out across the bottom grate and trying to grill indirectly: the proper airflow doesn't happen.

I liked the sound of this as well...
quote. "one may need to bank the coals next to one of the side vents, close that side vent while leaving the other one open, and then putting the cover down so that its vent is directly over the banked coals. This sounds like it might create a non-linear, but ultimately workable airflow inside the kettle. "
Problem was I tried it as soon as possible cause of my troubles and it didn't change a thing for me. BUT your comment about doing the opposite did help me. But only a bit.
Before I drilled holes in the bottom of mine I found the following (basicly your last written idea) to work the best.
Just open both vents and pile coals on one side only w/ the lid vent over that side, + tilt the entire lid off the grill 1/8 inch or so (carefull, they have a tendancy to slip off sometimes). Dont get me wrong, it will cook anything fine, but not at a nice HIGH heat sear like I, and most like. Thats as good as it gets i'de say, I fought it for a long time. I'de like to think thats the only answere cause I tried everything but I could be very wrong, just want to help best I can.
Hope that helps and hope you enjoy your grill! I must say that I've not been happier w/ mine after drilling/modifying it though. Its the perfect size for us 2, small enough that it heats up NO problem, but big enough to feed more if you must. I'm gonna use the crap out of it traveling as well, its just perfect for me at least. If you decide to drill it out (oh don't worry you cant fight the feeling for to long before you do) we'll all be glad to answere any questions! my thread is below yours a couple in the portable grills section. "Finally time for the mod" i think. Just imagine pulling a lever and waiting 5-8 minutes, and when you open the lid to put your big beautiful rib-eyes on theres flames jumping around just below the grate... oh ya.. you'll be drillin in no time, LOL! (just kidding around, you may like it just fine) Have a good one!

I did a vent mod on a Smokey Joe Platinum and couldn't be happier with the outcome. I posted some pictures in one of the threads in the Portable Grills section. I used the four hole mod, with the holes covered by a replacement top vent from an old Smokey Joe. The ash pan is a stainless steel puppy feeding bowl that I had in the basement. I set a pie plate inside that for easy ash removal.

As happy as you may be with your SJG stock out of the box, I think you'll be much happier with the vent mod.

Pat

Thanks folks for your replies. I will do my darndest to try all manner of coal vs. vent configurations to get some decent heat out of my SJG for indirect grilling before contemplating mods. Honestly, I think it's unfortunate that mods should even be necessary!

I do wonder why Weber didn't just design the Gold exactly like the Silver, BUT with a one-touch ash can AND the carrying handle! Seriously, why they didn't think of this is very strange. Maybe they did, but side vents were just cheaper to produce? But still - who cares if they were cheaper; functionality should always be the first consideration.

I'm the one who suggested the indirect charcoal configuration. Since I have used this method I do get hotter and prolonged heating with the SJP. However, I agree that those who are looking for a HOT sear on this grill, the vent mod needs to be done.

I mainly use this grill for my wife and I for Brats, pork tenderloin, shishkabob, fish, thin steaks like flank, etc. Plus, it is the grill I take out on the ice for warm up of pulled pork and other smoked goodies.

The other thing is that I never (well 99% of the time) do any grilling without an indirect heat area. The big kettle is fine for Paul's suggestion of banking coals on either side, but that would not leave me the indirect cooking space I need. If I want to sear I use the regular kettle or the WSM. For larger groups I use the Ranch.

So if you want the sear do the mod. Otherwise I think you can get a longer, higher heat my way. All you can do is experiment.

Dan

Dan, thanks for the feedback.

When you say that this banked method without mods gives you hotter temps, are these temps hot enough, say, to normally cook stuff like beer can chicken, ribs, etc.? I figure so long as I can do those on my SJG without mods, I will be happy.

And thanks for the coal layout suggestion in the first place; the idea makes sense intuitively.

oh sure it will, didn't want to sound misleading, its exellent out of the box, to answere your question. you'll be very happy, esp. if you need it to travel with or something.
Dan I was reading my own post and wanted to make sure you knew that the method you described is great, I shoudl have said I just didn't notice a difference I was looking for. Just so you know amigo. And it totally makes sense. Like you say, "all you can do is experiment" is perfect. Depends on types of fuels, lid placement, all kinds of stuff i'de imagine.

How the heck are you going to fit a beer can chicken on this grill? Cornish hen - maybe. I used to do cornish hens all the time on the small Smokey Joe by banking coals on either side.

Dan N. is right: of course a beer can chicken wouldn't fit ... poor choice of terms on my part. What I had in mind was either quails or cornish hens but using the same kind of rub and indirect cooking technique (with water pan underneath) as for beer can chicken.

Well, finally I can report back that, just as I had suspected, banking the coals perpendicular to the two open side vents, and then having a section for direct searing and a cooler section for indirect baking, did work and the coals didn't go out on me. What most certainly doesn't work is to try grilling with the lid on after filling the SJG up with a full chimney of coal spread evenly across the bottom grate - you just don't get a convection current that way.

In addition to banking the coals to one side, I plan to try the coals set on both sides perpendicular to the vents with a drip pan in the middle and the ends of the drip pan adjacent to the side vents: this should allow the air to be drawn under the drip pan and to feed the coals on either side. Theory for now, but it seems to make intuitive sense.

Wow. A FULL chimney of coals is a whole lot of fuel for a SJ. I've had my silver for several years now and the most I've ever used was maybe a half a chimney. Say 15-20 briqs for cooking three baked potatoes and steaks.

I've found that since the space inside the SJ is very small that only a few coals will give a very good temperature inside. Also, it allows good airflow for controlling the fire.

I would think a whole chimney would choke off the airflow as the ash from the coals would cover up the vent holes.

Russ

Back