Ranch Kettle and Competition Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny A

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on ghe VWB Forum. I just bought a used RK to use for KCBS or IBCA competitions. My goal is to cook all four meats on it,1 PB, 1 Brisk, 2 racks and 12 chick thighs. I purchased 4 fire bricks to set up for indirect and Minion Method style. I also own a Stoker system from my previous unit with a 10 CFM blower. My questions would be, has anyone done this yet? For RK users, what do you think of my plan? What suggestions do you have?
Thanks, Benny

Hey Benny, welcome to TVWB.

I don't do bbq comps, so I was waiting for others to post a reply. But, since no one else has, I will give it a shot.

I think that sounds like a great plan. I am doing 2 briskets on my RK on Thursday, and I think there is plenty of room on it to do your stuff--as you already know.

The RK seems to be pretty fuel efficient, but I do need to add charcoal (lump) every few hours, so if you time these properly, you can add charcoal and other food items when necessary.

You got it used--how much? We seem to be a pretty exclusive subgroup here....

Good luck with your comps.

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your help and encouragement. I paid $500 for a one year old RK. It is in perfect condition and even had a cover made by the owner.
I plan to start with Kingsford as that is what I am most familiar with. When you cook, do you open all the bottom vents or only the one by the coals? Do you control the temp with the bottom vents or the top?
Thanks for your response, Benny

Great deal on the RK. You are going to love it. I especially enjoy the reactions I get. Everybody has seen a Weber, but very few have seen an RK. I get comments like: "Wow, that is the biggest grill I have ever seen!" Although at a comp with possibly offset barrel smokers and other equipment around it may not seem as impressive. But you will get comments...

I put the flip up grill part right at the front of the grill, so when I open the lid, the fire is right up front for easy access. Also, I don't have to dodge the lid to stoke the fire or add charcoal.

The RK is so big, you can use a full size baking sheet pan (restaurant size--see a local supplier), or 2 half sheet pans (what I use--smaller so easier to handle when full of drippings), for a drip pan, lined with foil.

I use my BBQGuru DigiQ II w/10cfm fan at the back left bottom vent. I close the other two bottom vents, and squeeze/compress foil into the other 3 holes on the one w/ the Guru, so that the Guru provides/controls all air supply. It is aimed toward the fire at the front. The top vents are very large, so I close them 2/3-3/4 of the way. Your Stoker should work perfectly.

I light one Weber chimney of coals, pour it in, then add a little more unlit charcoal (dunno, maybe another half chimney). Pretty much about the same amount for a 22.5" Weber. I use Royal Oak Natural Lump. When I need to sleep or leave home for extended periods while cooking, I throw in some Royal Oak briquettes because they are more compact and will burn for a longer time.

Back in April, I did 20 slabs of babyback ribs in the RK, using a Hovergrill from Smokenator in Northern CA, and my Weber ribrack to squeeze them all in for a party. They were not all done at the same time, but within about an hour. For a party it worked out fine as people came and went, and others came out looking for seconds.

On July 4, I did a 48 lb whole hog on the RK. Had to remove the head to fit. It was a small whole hog, the ribs were not much bigger than pencils, the hams were maybe 5 lbs each, which was kinda funny, compared to the 18-20 lb hams I have done before. But, it was a whole hog... So if you want to compete in whole hog, it is doable as well.

Benny
I have an RK and have taken to a couple comps in the past and have cooked ribs on them, but that was it for me. I can tell you that at the last couple comps I have been at (I'm in CA) there is a team that does everything on a RK and I have seen them get a few calls, so I know it can be done.

Scott,
Thanks, I have competed against the team using the kettles and we have been talking on the CBBQA forum. He does things a little different such as drilling a new hole for his stoker that I'm not ready to do yet.

Doug,
Your info is going to be invaluable for me. I was a little worried about using the stoker at the existing vent locations due to grease getting in. But using the full pans will probably solve that. I should have some results from my first test on Sat. I'll post the results.

Benny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I paid $500 for a one year old RK. It is in perfect condition and even had a cover made by the owner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you find the good deal on the RK? Anyone had any luck on Craig's List?

Hi Tom,

It was on Craigslist, San Diego when I first saw it. I kept in touch with the seller for about a month until I sold my offset smoker. It was also posted on the CBBQA website.

Benny

thx Benny...I'll keep my eye out for a deal. Bigger than what I need, but when it comes to grilling...you never know how many you might be feeding.

Hi Again,

It took a couple of weeks longer than I wanted to finally use the RK for the first time. I bought 4 firebricks to use as a heat sink and to separate the coals from the meat. I got the RK too hot and it stayed above 300F for almost 5 hours. I cooked a 7 lb. brisket and a 5 lb. pork butt. Next time I will use fewer coals to start and place them on the side as the lid's handle became quite hot. The Stoker did not have to do too much work for the first several hours other than monitor the meat temps. Both brisket and butt came out tender. Next test with be ribs and chicken. See photos on the link.
BennyFirst smoke on RK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back