Smoked Cheese Logs (or balls)

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
49df85ec.jpg

These are a great quick appetizer that you can make with your own smoked cheese . Pictured are a smoked cheddar log on the left, and a jalapeno-pepper jack log on the right.

8 oz. smoked cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
1 thin slice of onion
1 clove of garlic

1- run the onion and garlic through the food processor until very fine.

2- shred the smoked cheese (it's easier in the food processor) and add to the processor bowl.

3- add the cream cheese in small chunks and blend until mixed.

4- shape into a log or ball on wax paper and chill. Overnight is best, but at least a few hours before serving to allow the onion and garlic to mellow.

Obviously, these can be scaled and tweaked however you like. The greenish log at top also has a minced fresh jalapeno added, and came out great. And, of course, you can roll in fresh or dried herbs or nuts.

These look great Jon. Any particular type of smoked cheese, like gouda that you used or that you may suggest?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Regina S:
These look great Jon. Any particular type of smoked cheese, like gouda that you used or that you may suggest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've mostly used cheddar, since that's an easy one to smoke. I've tried Pepper Jack and horseradish, and they both worked well. Really, any sort of cheese you can smoke would be fine and I'm not sure a more expensive cheese like Gouda would be worth the expense since you're cutting it with cream cheese.

Back