5# tank help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Pederi

TVWBB Member
Okay i know there is some discussion on this already but looking for some quick help. The performer I just got has a 5# tank. Is there anything I can do to convert it to disposable or 20#. What would you do? Should i keep the 5# tank. Does anyone know how much to refill. I am lost and since I just got this grill today I would really like to use it tomorrow. SO all advice is greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lou Pederi:
Thanks but I have an older stainless steel table performer. So not sure what to do with that one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just replace the hose that has the new style connector (OPD Valve) for the tank and get a 20lb tank. Done.
icon_wink.gif

Just use it as is for now and change the tank/hose when you have time. You don't need the gas assist to use the grill. I have the 5# tank and have refillled it only one time a few years ago. Not sure of the cost but I think it was $10.00.

MikeZ

will i have to replace the whole hose. I have not seen any that look like the one with the grill. Or is there a place that shows how to put a new regulator on. I think i will get another 5 lb tank but not sure if the fitting will work with the opd valve 5# tank. Thanks for all the help I am just really puzzled by this.

Lou,
i believe i am in the same boat that you are, got a Red
icon_smile.gif
perf (N model year) in great condition last night but the 5 lb tank seems to have a solid leak by the hand valve and it appears that this tank does not have an OPD on it either so i wonder if ACE will even fill it...

converting the older SS performers to the 20 lb tank (via Q hose) is not as easy as the new ones but i would THINK if you get a new regulator ( for a Q or other) + hose assembly you should be able to make it work....
id really like to keep the 5lb tank if possible.... not sure if Weber CS sells those but rest assured theyll be an arm+leg if they do... ill take a look at what can be done this weekend and try to report back..

I am not crazy about the idea of hooking up a 20LB tank to my Performer, but I would like to get a 5 pound tank. Would it fit my new Performer, and where could I get one?

yes, you can use the Q hose (like with a 20 lb tank) to attach to a 5 or 10 lb tank... ive seen 10 lbers at Gander Mtn. or Cabelas... not sure if they went as small as 5 lb though...
hope this helps

Weber Factory Store in Palatine IL does sell the 5# tanks. They are about $55.

Local Ace Hardware won't refill them without OPD. Also, they are certified good for 10 years from manufacture, after which they must be recertified. Ace won't recert, but probably if you go to a more industrial propane provider, they will be able to pressure test/check for leaks, and recertify the existing tank. Most rental cos. (the We-Rent-Everything places) can refill propane, ask them if they can recert.

My buddy bought a '99 Performer on CL. Ace wouldn't refill without OPD. We said How can you tell? They said by the valve handle: OPD is the triangularish handle, whereas the '99 tank had a 10 or 12 star valve handle. But, the tank had a sticker stating it did indeed have a OPD, so we were able to get it refilled. Bigger but, as a '99, we won't be able to get it refilled next year unless it is recertified. Or buy a new tank. So, that's how I know they do have them available for purchase.

weber is sending me an attachment that will allow it to be filled by ace or someother store. they said it will be able to tell them how much they are filling. They are sending it free because they said it should have came with the grill. It is worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back