Comp Brisket

John Swanson

TVWBB Member
Anybody out there using Wagyu for comps? My partner told me today that SRF was out of briskets with no set date for more.

Not here...we cook with Costco choice packers or flats. Too rich for my blood...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Gotta have the right coin to go that route and I don't. SRF is charging at least as much as the cost of the meat for shipping. So whatever you see as the price of the meat, double it for the shipping charge. My competition budget is thin enough as it is, wagyu just ain't in there.

I've tasted it several times from teams that really know how to cook brisket and while I agree it is very good, I just can't justify that cost. I stick with CAB as a general rule. If I'm feeling really froggy then I'll go get a Halal brisket.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
Not here...we cook with Costco choice packers or flats. Too rich for my blood...
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

J D,
Does your Costco always carry packers? What is the $ per pound?

For reference, I have never seen a packer at Costco.

Most of the time our business costco carries them...12 to 16 lbs for the most part. Not sure the price...around 2.89 per lb...

I've NEVER seen packers at our Costco just flats. We will be trying a Wagyu in competition this year for the first time. The flavor is just amazing!!

You might want to try Restaurant Depot's "Superior Angus" choice packers if you can get a membership. Around here at least, they're not much more than the choice IBP packers that they sell or the Excel choice that Sam's sells. So far the best brisket I've ever smoked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Swanson:
I've NEVER seen packers at our Costco just flats. We will be trying a Wagyu in competition this year for the first time. The flavor is just amazing!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Note that JD said "Costco Business Center," not their typical retail locations. The former caters to the restaurant/store trade.

Last time I saw a Choice packer there it was $2.46/lb. JD's figure is about 15% higher than what I saw about two months ago.

The Costco Business Center in Phoenix carries packers but the standard Costco locations here only carry flats. Sounds like this is commonplace in that chain.

Back