First Keetle Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
Thanks to the advice I was provided in this thread, I christened the OTG last evening.

It’s been a long time since I’ve cooked with charcoal. I have a lot to learn.

I scorched my steaks. First off, I had thin steaks. But more to the point, I think my grill was too hot. The experts said to begin with a full chimney of lighted coals. They indicated that would be ~50 coals. My chimney must hold more as I know I had more like 75 or so coals. The grill seemed hot, even after waiting 10 minutes or so before putting the food on.

While I have grilled corn before, I never did so without the husks. I tied them back as Raichlen instructed. It makes for a nice presentation. We liked the corn. We liked it a lot! I probably could have gone another minute or so, but it was very tasty. I basted the corn with garlic butter. Yummy!

The steaks I did simply: just a little salt and pepper. I finished it with a dash of EVOO. They tasted fine, but were well-done.
icon_frown.gif
My in-laws would have loved them.

I’ll get better. I need thicker cuts, I know. The sear cooked the damn thing through before the turn. Oh well.

It’s been a fun summer of smoking and now charcoal grilling. Lots of good food on the horizon.

kettle-05.jpg

kettle-07.jpg

kettle-08.jpg

kettle-09.jpg

Don't forget...you can quick sear over the coals then move indirect till desired doneness. Corn IS GOOD with char on it!!

PS don't you just love the flavor of that strip of meat past the fat layer on the outside edge!!

i use a full chimney on one half of the kettle. then just move things back and forth as needed. i like my corn cooked with a couple of layers of husk over the kernnels. gives a nice char taste. if steaks are thin then just grill direct over the coals for only several minutes.yer cook looks just fine to me.

Bob, pics look great, as well as the food. If you are using a Weber chimney, it holds right around 100 briquets, or roughly 6 lbs. I know this cause I counted and weighed them several years ago.
icon_wink.gif
If using lump, that can varry greatly. Pratice makes perfect, keep on cooking.
icon_cool.gif

Yes, I use a Weber chimney. I think I have heard 100 bricks fill it b4. I'll cut down next time to see if I can control the heat a little better.

In the past when I have grilled corn, it has always been with the husk on. Raichlen calls for it off. I gave it a try. We liked it. Mine was a touch al dente, but very good. I will do it this way again. Even my wife enjoyed it.

It's always nice to have new toys. I appreciate this group. I have learned lots and have lots more to go. Thanks!

Bob, I looked at your pics and I don't think you used too much charcoal. You need to practice using the "searing" and "cool" zones to get the proper doneness of your steak. You want that nice hot fire for the sear, but you need to learn when to move off of it. When you use thicker cuts and are more comfortable with you grill, you should try a reverse sear. It will bring your steaks to the next level! There's lots of info on it here if you do a search. Good luck.
icon_smile.gif

I always cover; minimizes flare-ups. Cooking is more efficient when the cover is used so shorter times, whether direct or indirect, are called for. Using a bit less fuel--or allowing your fuel to burn longer before adding the food so temp moderate--is another approach.

Originally posted by Marlene Steinberg:
Are you cooking covered or uncovered on the steaks?
I've been cooking uncovered thus far. Each thing I have grilled has been for a relatively short time.

Last night I made beef ribs using the America's Test Kitchen's rub and method.

Indirect with 30 lit briquettes and a chunk of hickory.

One hour later add 20 unlit briquettes and hickory chunk and cook another hour + and test.

All of this covered with the vent over the ribs.

They were beautiful! The bark was perfect and the inside just as I like it. The rub was delicious!

Only problem was the ribs themselves. All fat, grizzle and bone. Hardly anything to eat on them.

I felt like I wasted all of that time except as a learning experience. The ribs although delicious hardly had any edible meat on them.

Now that I know how to cook them, how do I buy them?

I'd do the same procedure again and again if I would know the meat was good.

Originally posted by Marlene Steinberg:
Last night I made beef ribs using the America's Test Kitchen's rub and method.

Only problem was the ribs themselves. All fat, grizzle and bone. Hardly anything to eat on them.

I feel your pain Marlene. It is difficult to find meaty beef ribs in a grocery store or warehouse type store. You will probably have to find a good meat market and establish a good relationship with the butcher to get good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back