odd differences in temprature readings between my digiQ-II and my ET-73

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I'm into my fourth cook with my new DigiQ II and I love it. I'm still learning some of the nuances of it but it is such a well designed piece of equipment and great features. ( i expecially like the nice nights sleep I'm getting)

So I'm using it under extreme conditions. We have quite a cold streak going the cook last saturday night was in -30 for windchill and tonight I threw two butts in and the windchill is expected to be -25. No low temprature problems to report- seems to work like a champ in the cold.

I've been experiencing a variance in temprature readings from the digiQ pit probe and the Maverick et-73 pit probe that have me perplexed.

This is inconsistent so I'm struggling to figure out whats going on.

Heres what I'm using: A brand new WSM (I figured I should install the DigiQ II on the new WSM I've kept sitting in the Garage for the last year) a new DigiQ-II and a new ET-73

I installed two eyelets for the DigiQ probes
the ET-73 probe I ran under the lid for my first cook but since that cook I ran the pit probe for the et-73 down the top vent. I was only using the et-73 to remotely observe the pit temp so I didn't install a food probe.

Last sunday after I took the Brisket off I refueled and removed the food probe from the DigiQ II and restarted it and made some ribs for the Packers game. I placed the digi-q temp probe on the grill in the ET-73 spring loaded clip (I couldn't find the aligator clip. The et-73 i then wired through the eyelet I was no longer needing for the food probe.

The heads of both probes were within an inch of each other consistently throughout the cook the Maverick ET-73 read 40 degrees higher than the Digi-Q.

Now on tonights cook I am using both of the digi-q probes so I droped the probe for the maverick down fromthe top vent. Today both are reporting tempratures within 3 degrees fo each other. I can't figure out what would cause that variance.

Is there a safe way to test the probes in boiling water? or another way to verify the calibration? I don't want to fry them but woudl like to verigfy that they are working correctly.

Thanks

You can put the probes/tips in boiling water no problem, to check them for accuracy. What you must not do, is get water in where the wire goes into the end of the probe. If water gets in there the probe is worthless. I clip the probes to the side of a pan via a clothes pin or two.
icon_wink.gif
I have dropped 2 probes so far into water, slipped out of my hand, they are landfill material now.
icon_frown.gif

thanks Bryan, Bob at the bbq guru confirmed the same info. I'm going to try it before my next cook. Also Bob told me I can calibrate if they are off!

I am seriously impressed with this product and its customer support.

Back