Smoked Corned Beef

G

Found this recipe and thought it was worthy to share. http://bbq.about.com/od/beefrecipes/r/blb31013b.htm . I followed the recipe with a few exceptions, as follows. Two Costco corn beefs @ approx. 3.5 lbs. each, WSM @ 260 F +/- (top grill temp, Taylor 1470), never @ 275 F, no paprika (didn’t have any), swapped the garlic/onion powder ratios (brain fart), pulled off the top rack corn beef @ 176 F, and the lower rack corn beef, ended up @ 160 F. The results did not taste anything like pastrami. However, it was awesome!!! Considering rib racks for my next event.

Here's the recipe in case it disappears from the link above:

INGREDIENTS:
1 corned brisket
2 tablespoons peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

PREPARATION:
Soak corned brisket in water for 2 hours. Grind peppercorns and coriander seeds. Add remaining ingredients. Rub this on the corned beef brisket. Wrap and let sit overnight. Slow cook brisket at 275 degrees F. (uncovered) for about 1 1/2 hour per pound. Meat temps need to be near 185 degrees F. or above.

I tried this recipe this weekend. I smoked that corned beef for 7 hours before I got an internal temperature of 185. Couldn't believe how long it took! But this morning, prior to posting this reply I reviewed the recipe and realized my mistake. I slow cooked it at 225 degrees instead of the required 275 degrees.

It still turned out good. My wife and I will be eating warm pastrami with melted swiss sandwiches for a few days. The seasoning was perfect.

Unfortunately we ate in shifts.. Cabbage first and corn beef second.. Oh well, I am still learning. Turkey day will not be done on the WSM, but on the kettle, same as it has been for the last 20 plus years..

I've done a bunch of Maple Leaf brand corned briskets for pastrami and I enjoy them.

I soak them for 4+ hours and pick the spices out of the meat (cloves, mustard and allspice I believe). This helps tone down the 'corned' flavor a lot.

Maple Leaf Brand... Not familiar with that one but I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the tip about soaking them twice as long. I have been having some trouble finding a piece of corned beef that actually wasn't full of fat from the git go.. Have to make some calls and see if anyone local carries the Maple Leaf.

Originally posted by Tom Hewitt:
Maple Leaf Brand... Not familiar with that one but I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the tip about soaking them twice as long. I have been having some trouble finding a piece of corned beef that actually wasn't full of fat from the git go.. Have to make some calls and see if anyone local carries the Maple Leaf.
It's a Canadian brand .. dunno if you'll find in the states or not.

Originally posted by Tom Hewitt:
Thanks for the tip about soaking them twice as long. I have been having some trouble finding a piece of corned beef that actually wasn't full of fat from the git go..
Wether I'm doing corned beef or a corned beef for pastrami, I soak them overnight. As far as corned beef goes buy the flat cut portions, not the point cut, sorry if you know this. Dean Larsen swears by the Saval brand of corned beef, I can't find them here. I had bought the "Old Fashioned" brand this year and the "Levonian" brand all flat cuts and was very happy with them. Good luck in finding some good ones. HTH

FWIW, here is a link to the Saval brand of corned beef, etc. It's probably a regional thing, so I'd be surprised if folks find them outside the mid-atlantic area. Interesting that they started as a supplier to Corned Beef Row in Baltimore !

Bryan, I checked 2 different stores today, and no Saval
icon_mad.gif
Like I said, sometimes they have 'em; sometimes they don't.....

Also, if you go to the link and you look under Corned Beef\Retail Pack, I see they DO sell the flats, as well as the point that the wife picked up last week. Rumor has it that Wegman's might carry these, but the nearest one is an hour drive for me ! I'd hate to make the drive and find out they don't have 'em....guess I could call, first
icon_smile.gif

Geez, I may need to organize a case buy with the Tri-Tip Smugglers
icon_biggrin.gif

Dean...

BTW : Under "Pastrami", they list "Navels"....I'm kinda afraid to ask, but what is a "pastrami navel" ???
icon_eek.gif

Eye of round is used for a leaner corned beef, navel section of the plate for a fattier version.
When I was in the sausage biz I used to use navels.

Originally posted by Joel F.:
Eye of round is used for a leaner corned beef, navel section of the plate for a fattier version.
When I was in the sausage biz I used to use navels.

Joel,

Saw your post a while ago, but I guess I never responded
icon_rolleyes.gif
Sorry....

Anyway, thanks much for your post ! This Board is awesome because someone here, like you, always has the answer, and is willing to post, so we all learn !

Dean...

hello,
was thinking of trying this sometime next week... but was curious, what type of smoke wood would you recommend?
thanks in advance

Originally posted by Evan:
hello,
was thinking of trying this sometime next week... but was curious, what type of smoke wood would you recommend?
thanks in advance
Evan, Listed in order of choice. Oak, Pecan, or any fruit wood you have. Be easy on the wood, just 2 small pieces (say 1"X1"X4") work fine for corned beef. I use lump and 2 small pieces of oak. HTH

When you say a "corned brisket" is that just a plain old brisket or something else? Also what type of smoke wood would I use?
Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Here's the recipe in case it disappears from the link above:

INGREDIENTS:
1 corned brisket
2 tablespoons peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

PREPARATION:
Soak corned brisket in water for 2 hours. Grind peppercorns and coriander seeds. Add remaining ingredients. Rub this on the corned beef brisket. Wrap and let sit overnight. Slow cook brisket at 275 degrees F. (uncovered) for about 1 1/2 hour per pound. Meat temps need to be near 185 degrees F. or above.

If your in Michigan or Se Michigan to be persise your in luck ! The best corned beef briskets bar non are made here and have been for a looooong time by the Ginsberg family . Some stores carry them . There really worth looking for . maybe in NYC they have somthing better but I really really doubt it .of course this is IMHO but its backed up by the best Jewish delis here use only that brand .

Hey everyone,

I'm smoking some corned beef this weekend. I came across this vat of goodness at my local butcher:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The recipe Chris has posted, and most of the success stories from the forum seem to rely upon pre-packaged corned beef. My butcher has obviously done the brining themselves. Chris' recipe, however, specifically says that when choosing the appropriate corned beef, "If you look inside the package and see the corned beef marinating in bay leaves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and other herbs and spices, don't buy it." Does that mean I will have problems is I buy my brisket flat from my butcher as pictured above? Why shouldn't you buy it? Is it because of the saltiness issue that I have read about? Wouldn't that be resolved by the soaking of the meat overnight, as suggested in many places here including Chris' recipe?

Any clarifications/help would be appreciated. The sooner the better too, since I'm going to possibly buy these tonight or tomorrow. Thanks in advance...

Originally posted by S Thakkar:
The recipe Chris has posted [says], "If you look inside the package and see the corned beef marinating in bay leaves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and other herbs and spices, don't buy it." Why shouldn't you buy it?
The reason I recommend that is because it's those spices that make corned beef taste like corned beef. I'm wanting to use that brined meat--minus their corned beef spices--and then add the characteristic pastrami flavor using the pastrami rub listed in the article.

Will the world stop turning if you buy and use the ones shown in your photo? No. Give it a try and tell us how you like it.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the clarification Chris. I had my mind made up that I was going to give this a shot anyway but I just couldn't figure out what that part of the recipe meant.

I'll post my results for sure. Right now my only question is how long I let it soak in the water. It seems the opinions run from at least 2 hours to overnight; which is a pretty significant gap. We're pretty middle-of-the-road on salt sensitivity so I'm going to go with a total soaking of 3-4 hours and see how that turns out. I'll post my results for sure.

Here's a picture from my last corned beef smoke. I usually do four at a time(especially when on sale)as my friends think it's the best pastrami they've ever eaten.

Dec29-2010ColdpicsBBQcornedbeef001.jpg

Back