Rotisserie

jeff_herrell

I have seen a rotisserie available for 22" kettles and found what appears to be a fairly good deal. However on the Weber website it says that the rotisserie will not fit a Performer. Does anyone know if it can easily be modified to fit the performer or why it will not fit? I have a 22 kettle also, but I'd like to have the setup for my performer.

Originally posted by jeff_herrell:
I have seen a rotisserie available for 22" kettles and found what appears to be a fairly good deal. However on the Weber website it says that the rotisserie will not fit a Performer. Does anyone know if it can easily be modified to fit the performer or why it will not fit? I have a 22 kettle also, but I'd like to have the setup for my performer.

My rotisserie fits fine. My guess is the reason they are saying it doesn't is because the lid won't fit on the holder with the ring attached, but I can't say for sure.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured. "Officially" it maybe doesn't fit due to interference with the original intended method of holding the lid. Is the rotisserie a good purchase? What do you find yourself cooking most with the rotisserie?

Is the rotisserie a good purchase? What do you find yourself cooking most with the rotisserie?
IMHO the roto is one of the "must haves" accessories to get for your kettle. Mine gets used 2-3 time a month. As to your question about what to cook? Check here.

That's funny. Those were all my pics. I was looking for those on imageshack this morning to show the rotis would fit but that site was down. I totally forgot I had already posted some of them.

I really like my rotisseries, but one of the things I like best is the basket style rotis that is stainless steal so it can go in the dishwasher. I do not use my rod style much at all and it's totally because I am lazy. The rod style is more work and requires more skill. That's not to say you won't love it. It's just a personal preference thing. (BTW, some people thing the rods are actually easier and the baskets are a pain so keep that in mind. This preference is just my opinion.)

I use the ring all the time for other things as well. I hung a grate off it and use is as a short WSM. Here is a pick.

04222010churchcook006.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-04-23

I do this ALOT! Worth the prize of the rotis for this alone. I have a Cajun Bandit too but I like this set up because it's not as tall.

But here is the thing, the ring is not air tight so I had to get some rope gasket to stuff in the gaps to keep the temps down in order to smoke. You can see it in the above picture as well as the self adhesive gasket around the lid. The one around the lid is probably not neccesary but the rope around the bottom definitely is. Not a big deal ($5 and easy...it's just tied around the ring like a belt and then stuffed into the gap each time I put the ring on) but it's worth noting that something like this needs to be done to hold low and slow temps. Now this set us is as good as my old WSM was for smoking meat. I've heard that the cajun bandit people made an air tight rotisserie ring but I haven't used it. I would probably look into that one too if I was starting over.

Hope this helps.

I just got a new rotisserie for my kettle and am thinking about using it to smoke as well. I can see where the rope gasket is really needed around the rim. I will also use bolts at the top to accommodate the grate.
I was also thinking about using a charcoal basket placed directly on top of the vent fins.
I can already see that this will eliminate any loose gaps between the fins and the kettle, resulting in a tighter and more precise vent control.
I may have to get a larger charcoal basket depending on how this setup works. I will also place a water pan or ceramic saucer just like the WSM.

P1050695.jpg

I need the rope gasket to stop the leaks when I set up my rotis ring. Could someone point me to a cheap(er) source for it, and what length do I need?

Thanks.

I need to get a gasket for my rotisserie, I pretty much have the Weber roti ring set up on one my kettles permanently. There's two gaskets i'm looking at. The rope gasket and the felt gasket with an adhesive backing. Im leaning more towards the felt gasket because i can leave it setup permanently and once its stuck to the ring it should stay there indefinitely. But i'm looking for some advice before i purchase.
Cheers
Joel

Back