Whole Pork Loins

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Local store here Stauffer's has whole pork loins bones in (looks like the Fred Flinstone cut that tips over the flint mobile in the begining) for cheap this week @ $1.29lb av weight 17-22lbs. Other than cutting them up into chops and the obvious loin roast and for that price (cheaper than I can get Butts for) grind it up for sausage, anybody ever leave one whole and cook it up?

Brian,

I haven't tried this recipe (yet) but thought you might want to check it out. Pork loin. I feel like I shouldn't post another G Ramsay recipe but damn, the guy has good ideas.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
Brian,

I haven't tried this recipe (yet) but thought you might want to check it out. Pork loin. I feel like I shouldn't post another G Ramsay recipe but damn, the guy has good ideas.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks much Bud.
icon_cool.gif
I like Gordo, and his show Kitchen Nightmares.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
and his show Kitchen Nightmares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian, watch his show "The F Word" ["F" as in food] if you get a chance. Actually has really great and informative content. I think BBC America has it, but there are a ton of episodes on youtube. Very cool. If you're offended by cussing you might not want to watch, though.
Sample.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just rub it then put it on your smoker with bacon on top. Flip it half way, I take it to 155*f internal. Others will say you can take it off at a lower internal, I just don't want to chance getting Trich.

Trich is so rare in commercial pork as to be a virtual non-issue. Regardless, it is killed at 137+. No need to go higher if you don't want to.

Bryan-- I do whole bone-in loins quite often. With time, I use something similar to your apple brine (2-day brine) then roast at ~350, rubbed. Without time I just rub (I like herbes de Provence alot or another herb-based rub; I like fresh garlic, pressed, mixed in).

Haven't done the bone in, but did 100lbs of boneless this past weekend. Used a light rub, and roasted in a pit @ 350 to around 145. The last 15 minutes, I brushed on an orange/apricot glaze. That's a good price and I personally think in certain cuts the bone adds flavor even though I don't always want to mess with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Trich is so rare in commercial pork as to be a virtual non-issue. Regardless, it is killed at 137+. No need to go higher if you don't want to.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. If you knew what the last year of my life was like, then you'd understand why I err on the side of caution. Murphy's Law has been bird dogging me lately. I did notice that the Food Police had lowered their "done" temps.

That can be worth it even if you're having a good year.

In this case--and in any case where food safety and cooking is involved--the cautionary note is to make sure you have an accurate therm for checking internal temps.

I hope your life (luck?) has changed and you're starting what will become a terrific year.

The other thing on cooking: the internal temps of red meats cooked at higher temps will rise during resting. Something to keep in mind so as to not overcook. The usual rise is 5-15 degrees, depending on cook temp and the item being cooked.

Update. Went and got one and this thing is huge! Didn't get the tape measure out but it's easily 3+ feet long. What a nice looking piece of meat. Going to cut some chops out of it, and the rest is going to get cooked up in chunks.
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks much for all the replies.
icon_cool.gif

Back