Re: Quantities

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When you say turkey, I assume you mean boneless, skinless turkey breast, and when you say ribs I'll assume baby backs, since they're nice to cut into individual bones to serve along with other meats.

I generally figure the following when I cook for friends:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>4-5 servings per 3-4 lb whole chicken

<LI>9-12 servings per 3 lb boneless, skinless turkey breast (4-5 oz each)

<LI>2 servings per rack of baby back ribs if an entree or 4-6 servings (2-3 bones/person) if served with other meats

[/list]

So if I were feeding 30 people and wanted some leftovers just to be safe, I'd cook four whole chickens (16-20 servings), two 3 lb boneless, skinless turkey breast (18-24 servings), and six racks of baby backs (24-36 servings). This would allow everyone to have a serving of chicken or turkey, plus 2-3 bones each. Adjust accordingly if you'll be hosting big eaters.

Place your side dishes at the beginning of the buffet line, your chicken and turkey in the middle, and your ribs at the end, cut into individual bones. Figure on one cup of sides total per person. So if you're serving two side dishes (e.g. beans and potato salad), allow 1/2 cup per person; if three sides, figure 1/3 cup per person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back