Over the river and through the woods......

HE Etheredge

TVWBB Member
I am smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving at my sister's house. I cook it at 325 because I love crispy skin but it takes about 45 minutes to get to my sisters. I have always used the cooler-towel-foil method but as you know it turns my yummy skin into gummy shoe leather. Does anyone have any ideas on how to transport my turkey and not loose ALL of the crispy skin or am I seeking a lost cause?

HE,

You could put it in a preheated hot oven (450 degrees) for 10-15 minutes. Should be enough to crisp up the skin without cooking the bird anymore. Just keep a close eye on the time.

Scotty W.

cool - thanks
I was thinking I could inject some clarified butter just under the skin in a few places before I put it in the oven. May help re-crisp quicker...maybe??

You could rub some butter "on the skin" since that's what you want to get crispy. I wouldn't rub anything on it but that's just me.

p.s. I love your avatar pic of Barney. I grew up watching the Andy Griffith Show and still do every weekday. Wish they still had tv shows like that.

Scotty W.

Great post--I'll face the same challenge Thurs. Would rather not show up needing mother-in-law's oven since hers will no doubt be double-parked already, but sounds like maybe no choice. Unless...maybe I butter it & throw on their gas grill, indirect, for 10-15..?

Second question--sounds like you've done the smoke, wrap & transport before. Do you take the internal temp all the way to 165* in your smoker, or can you count on picking up a few degrees while wrapped in the cooler? Worried that if wrapped at 165 and not carved/eaten for at least another hour, white meat will dry out ... Thoughts?

I have wrapped turkeys and briskets the same way and haven't had any problems with temp or drying issues. I wrap it a few times in foil then I wrap it in towels and put it in the cooler. Breast side down.

I take the Breast to 165. I would rather have my breast a little dry on the outside and not have people running for the bathroom. Just pass the cranberry sauce.

Seriously, I have not had any probs with the meat drying out when I pull at 165 and transported. The main problem is the skin turns into wet leather.

I assume you're using a WSM. Why not pack the WSM and smoke it there? I've done that at my SO's mothers (about 80 miles from my place).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I assume you're using a WSM. Why not pack the WSM and smoke it there? I've done that at my SO's mothers (about 80 miles from my place). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the same thing last year at my parents' place (about a half hour away). Got there early, with the bird and the WSM and got to work. A nice way to spend some quality time with Dad too.

Very cool I have "Famous" BBQrs commenting. What a treat!

Now for my whining session...

Yeah, thought about it but I would be packing my WSM in a Lincoln. You probably can imagine some of the issues I would have with this, but would be willing.

Here's where I really start to whine...
I would also have pack my wife and 3 year old and take them over to my sister's house 4-4.5 hours early (7:00-8:00am). I am sure you all know how long it takes to get a three year old and your WIFE IN THE DADGUM CAR! Man....I would have to wake them both up at 5:00-5:30am.
Nooooo waaayyy....

I will see if going in separate cars will cause any issues and if so, how many. Wish me luck~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HE Etheredge:
...I would also have pack my wife and 3 year old and take them over to my sister's house 4-4.5 hours early (7:00-8:00am). I am sure you all know how long it takes to get a three year old and your WIFE IN THE DADGUM CAR! Man....I would have to wake them both up at 5:00-5:30am.
Nooooo waaayyy.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HE: Man, this was like listening to myself... If it was just me, a bird and a bullet, that's how I'd do the cook, but... My kids are older and I have 3 of 'em, but the idea of hauling everybody out of the sack that early to go do the job "right", on-site...too much backlash to even think about it. Not in this lifetime.

Wonder if we could crisp up that skin after getting to Ma's by putting the turkey on a grill (indirect, as much as possible) for a few minutes? Buttered/not buttered--seems like it might work. I hate to count on the oven being available--it will already be double-parked with sides staying warm, for sure. Don't want to p - ss off the M.I.L. any faster than I have to...

Good luck,

yeah this is probably my answer.

Before I smoke I plan on running my hand under the skin to separate large sections from the turkey. This I think will help crunch the skin a little more. When I get to the house, I will fire up the grill oil the bird and see if I can crust it up again.

To crisp skin- I've used a electric paint stripper on several occations. Works like a charm, and a lot easier to control than the gas counterpart.

Just remember to remove the battery from the smoke alarm.
icon_smile.gif

Back