help please

Ryan Lewis

hey guys. i recently built the mini wsm and love using it. I'm new to smoking but have done lots of research. i have done two picnic porks about 4 lbs and both times after 7 hrs i pulled them because they would not go higher then 160. i cooked at 200-250 the whole time. i also got creosote on my bark... urgghhh... any thoughts? use higher cook temps?

Ryan,,
If you have creosote its due to poor ventilation.
Your top vent shsould be fully open. Control the temps with the bottom vent. Don't let your smoke wood catch on fire.. You want it to smolder.
Did your meat taste burnt? You may just be looking at the bark.
As for the internal temp. Have you heard of "Stalling"? Meat will get to a point and just stay for a while.. you just have to wait it out. Sometimes its only minutes, sosmetiems it can be hours. Patience is key.. Hope that helps. Happy Smoking!
AJ

thanks guys....im learning and appreciate your time. hopefully ill get another shot this week.I always leave the top wide open,but, my smoke wood did catch fire once.I shouldn't be soaking chunk wood in water first?right /

Soaking wood doesn't help.
You should also be smoking at 225 to 250.
Low and Slow is the game for pork butt.
Minimize the amount of time you open your lid.
You could keep a spray bottle handy to snuff out those spontaneous combustions fires..
Keep at it, you'll get there!

Back