Morel Mushroom cooking methods?

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
I finally got my hands on a couple pounds of morels and I've read a couple ways of cooking them. The most popular two involve breading with either flour or a egg/cracker mixture and frying them in butter.

I wondered if anyone ever grills them and how they would go about it. I have quite a few so I'll be able to experiment a bit with them.

Hi Brandon,

The only way I've ever had them, and I've had them many times, is split in half (or thirds for the really big ones), soaked for a while in salt water (to get the tiny slugs out), dipped in beaten egg and cracker crumbs. Fried in BUTTER! Can't imagine how they could be better. Serve with a nice tossed salad and strawberry shortcake--wild strawberries if you can find them. Wild strawberries often come out about the same time around here.

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
I finally got my hands on a couple pounds of morels and I've read a couple ways of cooking them. The most popular two involve breading with either flour or a egg/cracker mixture and frying them in butter.

I wondered if anyone ever grills them and how they would go about it. I have quite a few so I'll be able to experiment a bit with them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky you. Around here they go fo $40 per pound if I can even find them. Iusually make a cream sauce with them and serve over veal, chicken cutlets, etc. Wonderful musky flavor.

I usually end up having to buy dried as the fresh ones are not often available. BYW, if re-constituting dried ones, always save the liquid for soups, etc.

ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:

I wondered if anyone ever grills them and how they would go about it. I have quite a few so I'll be able to experiment a bit with them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky you. Around here they go fo $40 per pound if I can even find them. Iusually make a cream sauce with them and serve over veal, chicken cutlets, etc. Wonderful musky flavor.

I usually end up having to buy dried as the fresh ones are not often available. BYW, if re-constituting dried ones, always save the liquid for soups, etc.

ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spent 2 full hours on Friday wondering around in the woods looking for some before coming home with nothing but wet feet. Then I spoke with my mother who said she just had a bunch the night before at a friends house, they paid $12.50 a lb for them. I quickly gave her all the money in my wallet ($30) and told her to get me a couple pounds if she could. I have never had one in my life so I'm pretty excited to give them a try! I'll take some pictures when we get them cooked up.

You are very lucky Brandon. To get fresh ones, I have to drive to Raleigh Durham area (1 hour and 40 minutes away) to buy them from Trader Joe's at $39.95 per pound when they have them!

Enjoy them!

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You can grow your own quite easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Cameron. I'll probably continue to buy the dried ones rather that try to grow my own.

Ray

They kinda grow themselves with little intervention. The hardest part is preparing the log to insert the spore laden dowels into
icon_smile.gif

I totally understand though. I figured readers of this site would find it interesting just to know what it is involved.

Thanks for the info Cameron, I'll keep that in the back of my head in case I get ambitious in the yard this summer.

I had my first morel ever today and have to say they are very good, but I think I was a bit let down. Its like a movie, somethings get over "hyped" it is just a mushroom after all. I would definately pay for them again if I cant find any or grow them though.

I battered them with the egg/saltine method and fried them in butter (3 sticks) at just under medium on my stove. (cast iron skillet) I kept the temp low as not to burn the butter but I was kind of annoyed by the amount of foam that appeared when I added the mushrooms. Any suggestions there?

I have about a pound left and plan to do them within the next couple days. I think I will try using just flour and frying in veg oil with just a little butter. I may add some seasonings before battering next time also. Maybe some DP shakeing the tree....

I couldent belive how well my youngest son ate them, he had 3 big ones in about 2 min. I've never seen him eat like that, hes usually so picky. I'll try to get the pics next time, I had my fingers full of batter and my wife was making business calls.

I don't think butter can get hot enough unless its clarified, and even then it has a much lower smoke point than peanut, canola, etc...

I would try a good fry oil next.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I figured readers of this site would find it interesting just to know what it is involved </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely - I was very interested and amazed. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had my first morel ever today and have to say they are very good, but I think I was a bit let down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brandon,

I will posy one of my favorite recipes for you in the "poultry recipe" section. Try it and let me know what you think.

Ray

Back