Smoked Pork Loin for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All:

I am wondering if anyone has a recipe or hints on preparing a smoked pork loin for Christmas.

I hear that they are excellent.

I plan on smoking it with a hickory/oak mixture....just wondering if anyone else has hints on seasoning or other aspects.

Thanks.

Robert

------------------
Robert Sparkman
icq 9639098
http://members.xoom.com/SPARKMANRL/

Robert....

Here is my favorite recipe for pork loin. I no longer do my loins low and slow....you run the risk of drying it out because it's so lean. Instead I grill(or oven roast) at 450 for 10 minutes, then at 400 for about 30-40 minutes until it reads 150-155. Please note, this is for a regular loin, NOT a tenderloin. Those only take about 30 minutes to cook.

Marinade and glaze:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp cardamon
salt
1 cup brandy
4 cups apple juice
1 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup melted butter.
Bring these ingredients to a simmer and cook for 1 minute.
Whisk together 2 TBS each of cornstarch and water. Add this to the hot liquid and cook for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and cool COMPLETELY.

Season the loin with Creole seasoning..if you don't have any here is a recipe(this is the best rub I have ever found..I use it on almost everything!).....
3 TBS Paprika
2 TBS each salt and garlic powder
1 TBS each pepper, oregano, thyme, onion powder and cayenne pepper.

After you have rubbed it down, place in a bag and marinade over night.

When cooking, I baste the meat with the marinade about every 15 minutes. Be sure to let the loin rest for about 10 minutes before serving..this will allow the juices to be re-absorbed into the meat.

That's it! You can use the marinade as a glaze, but be sure to boil before using again!

Hope you enjoy!

Stogie

Boy, Stogie's recipe looks great and I may give it a try for Christmas. I have a 9 lb. boneless loin in the freezer waiting for Dec. 24. and his recipe may be the trick this year. Hey, Stogie I don't have any brandy ( or any other alcohol), can I leave it out or should it be substituted with something else?

I have done some loins with just a good pork rub, like Southern Succor from "Smoke and Spice", and cooked in on the smoker at 275 target temp. Fill the water pan full of water and use a few chunks of apple. Target internal temp should be 155 - 160. Anything past that will dry it out. If the loin takes too long, raise the heat of the smoker to 325. This cut of meat doesn't need the slow and low method, so higher cooking temps are fine.

Enjoy - pork loins are great and if garnished right, makes a great centerpiece for a Christmas Dinner!

SC QUE

Hey Barry..

The first time I made this I drank all the Brandy before I got around to adding it!!!!

LOL..just kidding. I have never done it without, but I bet it would be fine.

Stogie

Stogie,

Your pork loin recipe sounds great - in fact, I convinced SWMBO to allow me to make it for dinner Christmas Eve. I have a question, however, so please forgive my ignorance here...

After the loin has been rubbed, do you put it in to a baggie with the marinade/glaze, to sit over night? Or do you use the marinade/glaze only for basting while cooking?

Thanks for the help!

Merry Christmas to all!

Alan Bosch
...with a WSM under the tree - I can tell by the box!!!

Alan..let it sit overnight in the marinade. Just be sure to watch your internal temp...I would take it off around 150 and let it rest for around 10 minutes. Also, if you are smoking it, be sure to let your guests or family know that the pink is OK..from the smoke. Matter of fact I will show them the temp before I slice it.

I say this because many people who have never smoked will look at it and see pink and think it's not cooked. My in-laws did this with a loin my bro-in-law gave them......they cut it, saw the pink and put it back in the oven, saw pink again and put back in the oven...it was so dry they threw it away!!!!

I am doing one for dinner tonite!

Sounds like your Xmas is already Merry!!

Have a good one!

Stogie

Thanks, Stogie!!

Won't be smokin' it, however. Can't open the WSM until Xmas morning - SWMBO rules, ya know. It's going to be done on the grill for a few friends that come over for a little cheer after church. The tots all run around and play while the grown-ups (a term I use loosely) eat shrimp, homemade bread, salads, stuffed mushrooms, porkloin, and whatever else shows up.

Keep warm up there in MI! Better you got the snow than us!

Merry Christmas all!

Alan Bosch
A true Q novice...

Alan,

Sounds like you've been a good boy this past year, with Santa bringing you a WSM for Christmas. Congrats, I know you will enjoy it for many years to come.

Stogie, I'm checking in on the BB from over here in Midland, MI where I'm visiting relatives. More snow here than I've ever seen in the 10 years of Christmases I've been coming here. Pretty cool--literally! I'm going to try your recipe soon, it sounds great.

Happy holidays,
Chris

Chris!!!

You gotta be kidding me!! You're in Midland?? I will be there tommorrow, Sunday! Today was Xmas at our house and we leave for Michigan in the morning.

I would love to get together if at all possible...even though I love the in-laws, after a couple hours I am ready to get out. I usually go over to The Boulevard and have a burger, but this week I plan on trying Billy Bones new rib joint!

Drop me an e-mail and we can converse....I understand this time of year is really busy, but to be only minutes apart and not meet up would be a shame! I'll even buy!!!

My regular e-mail is ktaylor11@home.com

Starting tommorrow you must use my travelling email kevjtaylor@aol.com

Let me know!

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back