Warming Rack Usage

Matt M.

I recently bought a Silver B for the first time and absolutely love it. I do have a curious question for you old pros though: do you guys use the 2nd tier rack or the warming rack? If so, how and why? I've been skimming through some recipes and don't see many, if any, that call for the use of these. I've since removed my second tier rack to give me more room on the bottom grates. Just wondering if I'm missing out on something or not. Thanks!

I did exactly what you did - removed it for lack of use and to provide more convenient grilling space.

Paul

My advise would be to remove it if you are not planning on using it. You have a nice storage space under your grill for it. They are chrome plated and rust badly when not in use. BTW, I use mine on the top for keeping things warm like taders and corn. Other wise I leave it out.

I use the lower rack (not the swinging one) for toasting buns.

I also use it for defrosting veggie burgers (I know, I know -- but in my defense, the person who eats those things is a good friend, and I won't get rid of a good friend just for having the bad taste to be a vegetarian).

Also, you know how sometimes, when you've got a fairly big group over for grillin', and you get a little overzealous with the number of hot dogs you put on the grill? And you don't want them to get cold? I use the racks then, too. You have to be careful you don't leave them there too long, though...

My rack is sitting in the under-grill storage, never used. I forgot about the swinging rack until I read the above post. I had to go look at my grill, "oh yeah, that swinging rack.
icon_biggrin.gif

I removed mine for lack of use and to provide more direct grilling surface. I don't recall if I ever had the swinging tray on my Silver B ...?

Paul

The swinging rack is great for warming french bread or rolls. I use the lower rack for cooking Italian sausage to keep it from burning.

All
The lower rack makes an ideal indirect cooking rack- it is especially good for pastries/deserts. The temperature at this point should be the same as displayed on the tamp gauge. It is also a good area to poach onions in red wine - just roughly chop up the onions and throw them in a small oblong baking dish along with enough red wine to just cover them and cover the tray with foil to seal it. Poach for about 30 minutes, remove the foil and cook for a further 5-10 minutes so that there is only a little juice left. You can add more red wine if it starts to get too dry. Do not use more than 1/2 a bottle or you wont have enough to drink whilst cooking - LOL.

You can also use it to indirectly finish off thick steaks. Lift the LH grill, put 1 or 2 chunks of wood between the Flavorizer bars over the interconnect tube, wait until they start smoking, Grill steaks on high for about 2 or so minutes per side (until they release from the grill) then place the steaks on the warming rack with the burners on high for another 5 or so minutes. Use a probe to get the internal reading and cook to the desired doneness.

regards

I've use my fixed warming rack a couple of times to toast hamburger buns. Works well and doesn't take long. I believe mine are made of SS because they so no signs of rust just like the rest of the components on my Summit Platinum.

Back