Capacola, Italian cold cut (hot ham )

Mike Erdkamp

TVWBB Member
Boars Head Brand, HOT CAPPY cooked pork shoulder butt with natural juices ,coated with spices and paprika,cured with water,salt,sugar ,sodium phosphate,sodium nitrite,sodium erythorbate. Could something like this be made at home,maybe using my kettle. Thanks Mike

Yes, it certainly could. You can cure then case and air-dry as is common, or if you prefer you can cure then gently cook and forgo air drying. You would need butt, curing salt (Insta Cure #2 or the equivalent), salt, sugar or dextrose (the latter is preferable), hot paprika, cayenne, garlic and, depending on preference, juniper, coriander, lemon zest, mace, allspice. The cure time before air drying or cooking would be about 18 days. There is no one standard for this salumi so feel free to play with it. (Cure proportions need to be exact so if you need help with that part of it or a recipe suggestion let me know.)

Common casings for capi are beef middles or bungs but you could use pig casings or any other you wish. If you prefer to actually cook the sausage (as opposed to allowing the air drying to 'cook' it) then I'd suggest pig casings as they are smaller and would allow more even slow cooking than the much larger beef casings.

Thanks Kevin for the info on capacolla, I have been busy this week with lots of tamales and no time. When I eat up the piece of cappi leftover from the small gifts. I will start to order some spices and some cure.Maybe after the 1st of the year.I saw your reply to one of the knife questions and found out santa is going to get me Edge Pro sharpener for Christmas .Thanks to everyone for the great info here on the forum.

Back