Brisket on a Q?

Steve Allen

TVWBB Member
Just wondering if any body has ever cooked a brisket on a Q before. And would there be a problem with getting the heat to go low enough. Or, could you cook it high and fast and still have it come out tender? I got a million of these questions and I am starting to get a headache thinking of them. Ant ideas?
icon_confused.gif

Where there's a will, there's a way! You could do a quick sear on both sides of the brisket, then sit a cooling rack on top of a smaller pan - I'm not sure a half hotel pan will fit, and finish the brisket indirect on top of the cooling rack, with some liquid in the pan to capture the drippings for an au jus.

I could see that working with a 5 lb flat. Not sure we could get a 12 lb packer on there!

I'm willing to give it a shot!

Pat

what q do you have ? briskets can be cut down. indirect can be done easily. cook at a temp of 275-300 and about 8-9 hours yer done.

I have the Q200. I think it is about 4 years old but still works like new. Do you think there would be a problem with the heat? Maybe a 6 or 7 pounder might do very well or I guess what ever size would fit in without hitting the sides or top. But, I was always told that you had to BQ them low and slow so they wouldn't come out tough. I didn't know if the Q could go low enough in the heat department. What ya think?

Lotta folks do high heat briskets at home and in competitions and do very well. Find one of the high heat brisket threads and see what temps they use, when they foil, etc. On the Q200, you'll need to figure a good way to get some smoke. Maybe some pellets in a foil pouch sitting on top of a corner of the burner?

Couple that with Phil Hartcher's posts on this form about cooking indirect on a Q200 or 220, and you should have a road map for giving it a go!

Pat

like i said, indirect, at about 275-300 and yer good to go. if smoke is a problem then a good rub on it will be just fine. brisket is an odd meat. therefore its done when its done. suggest using the probe test after you reach an internal temp of 195. once the probe goes in a bit easily, its done. foil and rest for an hour. enjoy.

this should be really interesting. thank you guys for the the hot tips. no pun intended. i'm cooking it for christmas dinner so i will let you guys know how it turned out. sweet!

Would love to know how the brisket turned out. Also, do you sometimes wish you had bought the 320, or are you glad you stuck with the 220?

The Brisket was totally fantastic. Moist, hard crust, and moist. I said that already. It was double moist. I got the 200 because I have a performer for all my smoking needs, at that time. We were on the way to my sons house for Christmas and he has only a beat up gasser. I think at the time the 320 was not even out yet but I could be wrong on that. The 200 is quite portable which I like, and I found out can hold at least a 7.3 pound flat. Over all a very nice experience.

OK, Steve, you've got our curiosity up! Tell us how you did the flat on the Q200 - Inquiring minds want to know, and to try it ourselves.

What temps and for how long? Did you use something to get the flat off of the main cooking grate and put in some foil or heat shield so you were cooking indirect?

Did you foil? If so, at what point?

Details, Man, Details!

Pat

No pictures yet, found out that i am not that handy. I seared on both sides on high for about a half hour. turned heat to low, which really isn't that low. had to keep opening the lid to cool off. After the searing, I foiled the meat and propped up one side to try to get off the burner. Put some hickory on the grill and put that under the meat for the smoke. this method could use a little refining but I didn't have the time. The edges were a little hard but every thing else was perfecto. Total time was about 4 hours. Done 2 hours early. Oh well. Room for improvement. Still it was wonderful....

Back