Making the vinyl cover not leak - anyone tried seam-sealing it?

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
Despite what you would think, the vinyl cover is not waterproof. Water leaks in through the seams in the cover and runs down the lid, entering the cooker where the lid meets the cooking section. Once inside, the water collects in the charcoal bowl.

It seems from the FAQ that the reason the vinyl cover lets water in is because of the seams. Has anyone tried using Seam-grip on it to seal the seams on it like you would on a tent?

Is the material itself waterproof - and just the seams that let water leak in? Seam grip is about $5 for a big tube of it, and it will definitely make the seams waterproof. It's not worth the effort, however, if the rest of the material still lets water in.

Ryan, I seam-sealed my WSM cover and it seems to be holding well. I never see moisture on my WSM after I remove the cover. But my WSM is stored under a large eave of my roof, so I don't get the onslaught of rain and snow that others do. Surely others have tried applying seam sealer....it certainly can't hurt.

Rita

I've been using seam sealer for years, and my WSM stays dry while totally exposed to the elements.

I've read accounts of trash bags, wheeled carts, and all kind of contraptions used to keep 'em dry, but none are as cheap or easy as seam sealer.

Use it with confidence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Gardner:
It seems from the FAQ that the reason the vinyl cover lets water in is because of the seams. Has anyone tried using Seam-grip on it to seal the seams on it like you would on a tent? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>From paragraph three of that FAQ, "WSM owner Jake McCready suggests applying seam sealer (a product sold at camping supply stores) to the vinyl cover's seams. 'I've used this for decades on many tents and had great success with it,' says Jake. 'One application lasts for years.'"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin S.:
I've read accounts of trash bags, wheeled carts, and all kind of contraptions used to keep 'em dry, but none are as cheap or easy as seam sealer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Trash bags are pretty darned cheap. I cover my cooker with a trash bag, then after each cook, I put the ashes in the old one and slip on a new one. That way, each bag helps keep the cooker dry before ultimately being discarded in the trash. Double use!

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
From paragraph three of that FAQ, "WSM owner Jake McCready suggests applying seam sealer (a product sold at camping supply stores) to the vinyl cover's seams. 'I've used this for decades on many tents and had great success with it,' says Jake. 'One application lasts for years.'" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I should read more
icon_smile.gif

Based on this thread, I had the Secretary of Domestic Tranquility pick me up a tube of this Saturday. Soon as it warms up a little, I'm sealing mine.

I used to use some big HD garbage bags to cover mine, but they just didn't flip my skirt up appearance wise.

Back