Coleslaw a la Doug D

G

What is your favorite slaw.
I love most everything my wife cooks but her slaw....it is just chopped cabbage and mayo.
What do you all like?

This always works for me:

16 oz. coleslaw mix OR 1/4 head shredded cabbage plus some shredded carrot and/or red cabbage.
1/2 c. mayo
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. celery salt
8 t. sugar OR 4 packets Splenda

Mix all dressing inredients thoroughly with a whisk and then fold into cabbage. Refrigerate overnight.

(Credit due to Keri C. for original inspiration.)

As a variation on the above, replace the 1/2 c mayo with 1/4 c buttermilk plus 2 Tblsp mayo plus 2 Tblsp sour cream. Replace some of the sugar with the equivalent amount of very finely minced sweet pickle.

Just a thought.

I just made this. Yummy. I added some green onions and a little more vinegar. It's nice because it doesn't make enough for an army.

Yes, and it's just too easy. The bagged mix is better-- an entire head of cabbage is way too much slaw for home use. Try adding a 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seed-- lightly ground together between your fingers to release the flavor-- to the dressing, for a hint of mintiness. Makes cool, creamy cole slaw seem even cooler.

I always have red and green cabbage on hand. This is what we eat tacos with instead of lettuce. So, natch it was all here. I once made a slaw from Emeril, and there was so much celery seed in it, it was bitter and I had to throw it out. The celery salt is nice in this, but I'll try some caraway next time.

Here's one i just tried. It was pretty good but next time I'm going to add more blue cheese

Blue Cheese Slaw
1 package slaw mix
1 package slaw mix with color
2 packages broccoli/cauliflower slaw mix ( mostly stems)
8oz Blue Cheese dressing
4oz crumbled blue cheese
2oz pickle juice
garlic powder to taste
bacon ( optional)

Originally posted by Doug D:
This always works for me:

16 oz. coleslaw mix OR 1/4 head shredded cabbage plus some shredded carrot and/or red cabbage.
1/2 c. mayo
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. celery salt
8 t. sugar OR 4 packets Splenda

Mix all dressing inredients thoroughly with a whisk and then fold into cabbage. Refrigerate overnight.

(Credit due to Keri C. for original inspiration.)

instead of the vinegar part i like to use some of the mr. brown mop. its full of vinegar and other goodies

There are several great ways to tweak this basic creamy slaw dressing. Keri C. likes hers with a couple dashes of Tabasco Chipotle, IIRC.

And garlic... just a bit of granulated garlic or, preferably, very finely minced fresh garlic will add a flavor that is difficult to identify in the mix but is delicious. Thanks to Danny Gaulden out in Carlsbad, NM (www.dannysbbq.com) for the garlic idea.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
What is your favorite slaw.
I love most everything my wife cooks but her slaw....it is just chopped cabbage and mayo.
What do you all like?

My family likes this Coleslaw.

FAMILY FAVORITE COLESLAW

8-cups (16-oz) cabbage, shredded
1/4-cup carrots, shredded

3-Tbs yellow onion, minced
6-Tbs milk
6-Tbs yogurt
3/4-cup mayonnaise
1/4-cup bottled lemon juice
2-tsp cream style horseradish
2-Tbs white vinegar
1/2-cup granulated sugar
1/2-tsp salt
1/4-tsp ground black pepper

Place shredded cabbage and shredded carrots in a large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and stir into cabbage and carrots.

Place in fridge and chill at least 2-hours before serving.

Rusty, Sacramento, CA

For something different, try switching some of the above mayo to Miracle Whip, and white and cider vinegar to tarragan vinegar. Throw in some celery seed. Give it a try, delicious...

I just tried Doug D's recip and it worked out really well. Adding a few pinches of BRITU rub made it perfect -- somewhere between 1/2 tsp and 1 tsp.

Thanks !!

doug d,

me and my girlfriend loved your slaw recipe. she is picky and i was looking for a recipe with simple ingredients so that i wouldn't have to go to the store. good job and i can also fine tune it as i want.

thanks

I have found an "extremely" easy recipe recently that I have gotten rave reviews on. Everyone wants the recipe. Almost embarrassing, it's so easy.

1 bag multi-color slow mix
add Ken's Steak House Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing
00074CF00041335000747.gif
(until slaw mix is moistened, not wet)
several grinds of black pepper
1/2 t celery seed

It is good right away, but like most slaws, best if it sits overnight in the fridge.

NOTE: this is a "sweet" creamy dressing

I can make anywhere from a bowl to a bushel in about 10 minutes.

Mike's Crunchy Cole Slaw

1 head green cabbage, finely chopped (about 5 cups)
1/4 head red cabbage, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 carrot, shredded

Dressing:

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons canola or other mild vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic

Toss the green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrot in a large bowl.

Make the dressing. In another large bowl, mix the dressing ingredients, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.

Use a measuring cup to transfer half of the dressing to the bowl with the cabbage and carrots.
Toss with clean hands or a large spatula to combine.
Keep adding dressing, 1/4 cup at a time, but be careful not to drench the
cabbage. You may not need all of the dressing, any leftovers can be saved,
in a covered container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days and used as a
dressing for salad or a marinade for vegetables.

Variation: For a creamy version, mix 1 cup of the dressing with 1 cup
of Hellmann's/Best Food's mayonnaise or Miracle Whip salad dressing.

Serves 10 to 12

Today's Slaw Dressing:

4 T mayo
1 T Grey poupon
2 T minced onion
2 t honey
2 t vinegar
1/8 t celery seed
salt and pepper

Pretty simple, pretty good. I've lived with just mayo as our slaw dressing, this does make things more interesting.

Back