Picking up a Char-Q, stand and cover for $75 tomorrow

Sean White

Hey guys, I had been toying with the idea of getting a Smokey Joe to replace my Baby-Q, primarily for use when I'm camping or out on a trip.

I stumbled across somebody selling a Char-Q, Weber stand and cover for only $75. A little more than the cost of a Smokey Joe, but it does with cast-iron grates and the free stand.

What do you all think?

I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

That is a very good deal. The CharQ is a great portable grill. As built it works best with briquettes. If you use lump it is better if you lower the charcoal grate.

Just picked it up. It's in great shape!!

I was worried somebody else would snag it before I had a chance to drive out there, but it all worked out!

How many briquettes does this thing usually take? Less than a chimney full?

Since it has great sear capabilities, I'm thinking about breaking it in with a couple of steaks this week.

Hi Sean,
It looks like you like your Qs and gassers in general! I picked up a Silver A a few weeks ago and I have to admit I have been enjoying it quite a bit. Last night I reverted to lump on my Performer to grill some veggies and salmon and it was very apparent to me how much hotter gas can be vs. charcoal.

But anyway... I did consider a Q vs. a more standard gasser and in the end, economics drove me to the Silver A. Most of the time the Qs list for at least twice as much on CL around here. I'm still curious about how the Qs work. Do they have flavorizer bars or is the burner directly under the grate? How well does that work? Every once in a while I see what looks like a good deal for a Q on CL and wonder if one gasser is enough.
icon_wink.gif
It seems to me that the advantage of the Q is portability and I wonder about other differences.

Incidentally, I did see a Char Q at my local Ace a couple weeks ago. How long have they been discontinued?

Walter, the Q as a grill is not as versital as many gas grills( won't work well for indirect)
But from an engineering standpoint it's so neat!
Cast aluminum body & hood , will last forever!
SS burner protected from drippings , will last many years, easy to replace if needed & less than $20
No flaverizer bars etc , first thing to fail in most gassers, the cast iron grate functions as the heat diffuser!
Fantastic heavy cast iron grates , probably will outlive you!
Unless traumatically damaged this is a LIFETIME grill.

Back