1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper

Makes 2 Cups

I have been making this one since I started using my WSM. I recently made it with a twist that turned out well.

I simmered a bunch of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and saskatoons (june berries) along with some bell pepper in just enough water to cover. I let it simmer for about an hour. Once it cooled I strained it and added 1/3C of the liquid in place of 1/3C of cider vinegar. Held back a bit of cayenne and tabasco.

I made it for pulled beef. My impression was it just wasn't quite study enough taste to stand up to the beef but I love it on pulled pork and chicken.

There is a pic of the berry & pepper stuff here.

I added a bit of sugar at a time by taste to the juice before adding to the other ingrediants.

I have added dried fruit to No.5 Sauce...never would have thought about adding it to an Eastern N.C. vinegar sauce. Very interesting.

Good recipe John. I prefer powdered pepper as apposed to flakes-those flakes do not go thru a recycled worschestershire (sp)bottle.

I think adding some of the extras mentioned would remove the sauce from being considered Eastern NC BBQ sauce. The sauces my be very good but I doubt they would fit this classification.

I will try again to get it to work with beef. The fruit needed to be bolder I thought, perhaps I'll simmer longer ... try to reduce further and concentrate flavor so it AND the vinegar are more pronounced.

When I said I added sugar, I didn't measure ... I added just enough so the juice didn't seem tart, not to the point of being sweet.

Anyway I like the idea because it opens up the whole fruit vegetable kingdom as possibilities.

Steve, I use a clean liquid honey squeeze bottle with the pop up top. It works good with the red pepper flakes.

So if you try and make some fruity vinegar sauce post it up!

Back