Feeding ribs to masses in 22" - How many hours?

George Nenni

Just received and assembled my 22" yesterday. Have owned an older 18" for several years, and have had good success. Man this thing is big and awesome-looking.

Planning to christen it by loading it wth St. Louis for the 4th, figure I can get 12 racks in easy (have 2 Weber rib racks), though I've read where you can fit more (not sure how?)

Primary question is, how many hours should I plan for? I read where others have done less than this, and went for 7 hours.

Any experience or help here?

a full cooker will cook ribs at the same speed as one that is mostly empty as long as the temps are the same and there is some space between each individual cut. if you pack em in tight so they are against each other cook times will be extended.

but there is nothing wrong with starting early and getting them done and sticking em in the oven at a warming setting if it only needs to be held an hour or so.

As Jon said your cook time should not vary much from the standard 6 hours. I do not know if you wrap your ribs, but doing 12 will definitely add some time to your cook. Also be aware that opening the lid (based upon my experiences so far) for spritzing, wrapping, saucing, etc. will bump up your temp pretty fast.

depends on how big your rib racks are, how many you have, and how tightly you are rolling them. it cant hurt to see how they fit rack wise and rolling them to get an idea of spacing before you prep em.

Thanks for the advice! Ribs were incredible. Actually, of the dozen or so sessions with the bullet, this was the very best food ever to come off (and first voyage on the new 22").

Loaded up 12 racks of spares, total weight 60 lbs., but trimmed to St. Louis style, didn't use sternums but kept many chunks of meat and small tasters. I estimate I set aside 20% of total meat (sternums), so only 50 pounds or so were cooked. Used entire 18 lb. bag of unlit Kingsford, plus a full lit Weber chimney from another bag (Minion). Layed 4 large chunks apple wood on lit ring.

Only filled massive water bowl to about 3 inches from top. Followed Texas Sugarless recipe: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib2.html
Doubled the recipe for rub, cut cayenne in half, was the perfect amount for the amount of meat. Have done the BRITU a few times, I prefer the Texas rub much more.

Used a Weber rib rack top and bottom, but loaded ribs on top, around, every which way. Not pretty, but basically stacked every bit of meat on both racks. Temperature quickly rose to 200, then 225 where it remained for 7 hours. All vents open for entire run. At 7 hours, ribs were perfectly done. (Started at 6:15 am, served lunch at pool party at 1:15 pm). Used combination of Jack Daniel's original and honey-flavored bbq sauce.

The crowd went wild, ribs disappeared. Not very fatty, most rendered out. Likely used more fuel than necessary, as temp rose to 300 after ribs removed, and kept running hot into the evening. Next time surely a single 18 lb. bag (or less?) would work. Otherwise I don't think I would change a thing. 3-4 people from the picnic are now asking where to buy a bullet, and I will send them to this great site!

Thanks again.

Back